Make a donation

Author Topic: Canbus update required for aftermarket stereo?  (Read 3274 times)

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Canbus update required for aftermarket stereo?
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:17 am »
I know I'd need to update if I were to replace the factory RCD300 but I'm fitting an aftermarket Kenwood double DIN.

I have the fuse tap, harness etc, I'm assuming this means I don't need to update the Canbus?

TIA!

Offline Shrek1493

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Canbus update required for aftermarket stereo?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:45:53 am »
Hi

I just fitted a Sony XAV AX3005db and used the connects 2 adapter and didn’t need any separate wiring changes just plug and play.

Connects2 CTSVW002.2 Steering Control Adaptor

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:52 pm »
if radio has canbus it means it works like OEM one and needs canbus update, if it's simple radio without canbus ( usually additional module on the harness ), it doesn't need canbus update, but it doesnt shut down itself or with ignition on only etc.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:15:59 pm »
Cheers, I've got the fuse tap for the switched ignition to wire into the adaptor so should be OK with that.

No Canbus, it's a Kenwood DPX-7000DAB, standard ISO connections, have also bought a dual adaptor for the aerial so just need to attach that to the Blue/White wire from the stereo harness to and should be all sorted.

It's got a Dension Gateway 100 providing a line in and iPod in and there's a Parrot Bluetooth hooked in as well so hoping the mic for that works with the Kenwood to save messing in the lining. Just going to have to put the DAB antenna somewhere.

But if I'm not happy with it I'll be coming to you for an updated Canbus module :)