Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing replacement  (Read 13262 times)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Front wing replacement
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2019, 12:32:27 pm »
@bobby_fodge my mate got his wings from an ebay seller/company called - lothianautopartsuk

hope this helps  :happy2:

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 01:01:28 pm »
@bobby_fodge my mate got his wings from an ebay seller/company called - lothianautopartsuk

hope this helps  :happy2:

Thanks Matey

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 03:01:30 pm »
Thanks Matey
[/quote]

you're welcome. I would suggest.. if it was me and you have the time and patience, plus you don't need the car: remove your wing, test fit the new wing and if the fit isn't great and you're not happy, put your wing back on and return it! ( I know that may sound a bit obvious, but if like my mate.. he had no chance of returning his)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 09:31:38 pm »
its mad to think that some garages just don't think about the customers pocket and will pull all the notes you have for something that wouldn't cost that at all!

me and my mate fitted the ebay front wings Saturday.. so my opinion/review:

colour match is pretty much spot on (LC9Z) and I couldn't tell the difference. as for fitment.. the job itself is easy enough, but as for the actual fitment of the wings.. the passenger side is absolutely perfect.. as in, you wouldn't know it wasn't original.. the quality, the shut lines the perfection of fit.. I was very surprised at the perfection! This wing had a label stuck on the inside saying TUV approved (insurance approved I think).

As for the drivers side wing: well.. I have to say I wasn't best pleased about this one (although its not my car, its my opinion) shut lines fit perfectly against the door, front bumper and front half of the bonnet line.. but the mounting bracket at the top left corner near the mirror where it bolts near the window screen, it was extended too far so it lined up for the nut to be bolted, but the extension of the bracket pushed the wing out near the pillar line and top half of the bonnet line.. as in almost by 1cm higher and further out than it should have been! and there was no way of bending the bracket, its like it would of needed cutting down and welding up!

we was at the point of no return as his original wings was totally rusted, so we continued the fit and my mate just bent the wing in up top to blend better, looks alright to be fair but that 10% of extra precision from the manufacturer would of made us a lot more happier with the overall job! (this wing didn't have the label TUV approved. so wondering if the company sourced this wing elsewhere or whether it was pot luck to have 1 perfect and 1 that 10% not so perfect.

anyhow, that's my review on the ebay wings.. if you're wings are totally buggered this is not a bad route to go down! In note to your post though, I would be happy you paid little money to keep the original wings, and came out with a perfection job, and saved the hassle :)

Any pics to show the fitting?

Offline Msmith1410

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 04:18:29 pm »
I’d also like the see the pictures if possible I need 2 front wings and was just looking at Lothian Autoparts and was debating what they would be like??? :thinking: :thinking:

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 10:24:06 am »
Ok so he got me some pics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:31 am »
I see you what you mean by the shut lines on the drivers side. I have the beginnings of bubbling but no rust break through at the moment. I did have one question though... how well made were the panels? The issue is panel thickness and longevity and I wonder whether I should just swallow the VW price and get it sprayed up by a local? Do VW do some sort of electrostatic zinc dipping with a base coat of primer whereas pattern parts are just sprayed primer?

I would prefer to get decent quality even though its more expensive.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2019, 02:19:38 pm »
I see you what you mean by the shut lines on the drivers side. I have the beginnings of bubbling but no rust break through at the moment. I did have one question though... how well made were the panels? The issue is panel thickness and longevity and I wonder whether I should just swallow the VW price and get it sprayed up by a local? Do VW do some sort of electrostatic zinc dipping with a base coat of primer whereas pattern parts are just sprayed primer?

I would prefer to get decent quality even though its more expensive.

100% if you can afford it.. then always buy the best! as a cheaper alternative.. I would say the Ebay wings are a great purchase. so long as you don't end up with a dodgy fitment (like my mates drivers side) but you can see the alignment issue I was talking about. it was all down to the mounting bracket up the top. shame.. but his wings was so bad hes more than happy now lol.

I would say, there wasn't much thickness difference in it.. I mean you'll never get VW quality from some cheap ebay seller but the quality was pretty good IMO. It was only the fitment of 1 wing which was disappointing.

if the rust isn't breaking through bad at all, maybe see if you can have a repair-rust repellent-spray done and see how long that lasts you. otherwise  you could order the new wings, have them sprayed and be done with it once and for all for the rest of your ownership. You just don't want to pay twice for the repair if you know what I mean. so get prices and weigh up the pros and cons.