Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing replacement  (Read 13149 times)

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Front wing replacement
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 12:55:45 pm »
It's just for knocking it out. To be fair I thick he will use the hot glue method and pulled.

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:29:03 pm »
Who the hell are the paint shop? Dick Turpin & Sons??
Even the PDR guy seems steep. Our local DentMaster guy is £80 but usually works out at £120 for several dents if you have any shopping trolley scars. 3 of us at work all needed stuff, if you have mates in need of their services too it makes their rate cheaper.
Good luck either way :happy2:

willni

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 04:44:41 pm »
Who the hell are the paint shop? Dick Turpin & Sons??
Even the PDR guy seems steep. Our local DentMaster guy is £80 but usually works out at £120 for several dents if you have any shopping trolley scars. 3 of us at work all needed stuff, if you have mates in need of their services too it makes their rate cheaper.
Good luck either way :happy2:

Our local PDR and best around our way is £40 a dent, it just depends on area and demand. I second the get a few people in on it though, generally gets you a very good discount for your work when you bring a lot.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 05:18:43 pm »
Quick update. I've cancelled the guy who was gonna charge me £150 as had another PDR quote for £65 plus vat. Will report back next week when it gets done

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:36:42 am »
My dad owns his own little repair paint shop in the North East and is really cheap compared to some robbing gits. It always makes me laugh how these paint shops come up with ridiculous prices. They totally take the p*ss. He probably would have charged about £100-150 for that job.
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:04 am »
I used a guy called Dan who is "Pure Dents".  Charged me £50 I think to come and take a dent out, I had him look at another 4 or 5 small parking dings while he ws there (expecting him to charge me per dent) and the he still only asked for £50! I made him take a healthy tip!

This is Leeds/Bradford for reference

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 11:28:48 am »
I have pure respect for people like that.. who are willing to go the extra mile and help someone by saving loads or being ripped off!

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 10:10:07 am »
Just had the dent removed and OMG it's like new! He even removed a few dents that's was there when I bought the car. Total cost was £78.
Here's the before and after photos

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:36:07 pm »
wow.. hes done a proper nice job, you'd never know, glad you got it all sorted  :happy2:

ill be replacing some wings on a mates GTI tomorrow, if I remember i'll post back here and let you know how it goes for ref in regards to our previous convos.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:54 pm »
Yeah I'm well pleased with the results. An to think the garage was gonna charge me £587 to repair it.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 08:40:57 am »
its mad to think that some garages just don't think about the customers pocket and will pull all the notes you have for something that wouldn't cost that at all!

me and my mate fitted the ebay front wings Saturday.. so my opinion/review:

colour match is pretty much spot on (LC9Z) and I couldn't tell the difference. as for fitment.. the job itself is easy enough, but as for the actual fitment of the wings.. the passenger side is absolutely perfect.. as in, you wouldn't know it wasn't original.. the quality, the shut lines the perfection of fit.. I was very surprised at the perfection! This wing had a label stuck on the inside saying TUV approved (insurance approved I think).

As for the drivers side wing: well.. I have to say I wasn't best pleased about this one (although its not my car, its my opinion) shut lines fit perfectly against the door, front bumper and front half of the bonnet line.. but the mounting bracket at the top left corner near the mirror where it bolts near the window screen, it was extended too far so it lined up for the nut to be bolted, but the extension of the bracket pushed the wing out near the pillar line and top half of the bonnet line.. as in almost by 1cm higher and further out than it should have been! and there was no way of bending the bracket, its like it would of needed cutting down and welding up!

we was at the point of no return as his original wings was totally rusted, so we continued the fit and my mate just bent the wing in up top to blend better, looks alright to be fair but that 10% of extra precision from the manufacturer would of made us a lot more happier with the overall job! (this wing didn't have the label TUV approved. so wondering if the company sourced this wing elsewhere or whether it was pot luck to have 1 perfect and 1 that 10% not so perfect.

anyhow, that's my review on the ebay wings.. if you're wings are totally buggered this is not a bad route to go down! In note to your post though, I would be happy you paid little money to keep the original wings, and came out with a perfection job, and saved the hassle :)

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 12:26:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply on fitting none genuine wings. Shame the drivers side didn't fit as snug as the passenger side as I'm sure the cars owner will notice it more knowing it's not 100%. I know I did with the wing :(
It's a shame the wing sellers arnt more local so u can take them back if there not right. The seller I was considering was based in Scotland and I'm in Devon. Couldn't be anymore far apart lol.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 01:50:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply on fitting none genuine wings. Shame the drivers side didn't fit as snug as the passenger side as I'm sure the cars owner will notice it more knowing it's not 100%. I know I did with the wing :(
It's a shame the wing sellers arnt more local so u can take them back if there not right. The seller I was considering was based in Scotland and I'm in Devon. Couldn't be anymore far apart lol.
Yeah, that would defo be a mission returning one in your case haha. He’s not overly bothered atm, I’m more bothered than him! I just like stuff perfect lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 02:51:23 pm »
Did you but the wings from wings and things on ebay? I need a new passenger one myself.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 09:30:26 am »
Did you but the wings from wings and things on ebay? I need a new passenger one myself.
not sure @bobby_fodge , I've just messaged my mate.. so will come back with an answer for you soon :-)