Make a donation

Author Topic: GTi pulls to the right under acceleration  (Read 5384 times)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: GTi pulls to the right under acceleration
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 10:02:27 pm »
All being well I look forward to sorting out a few things such as white worm on the rear boot badge, replacing the head unit, replacing the logos on the key fobs and generally anything else I can find. Might even paint the calipers back to red as someone painted them black :(
I got a GTI logo for my key (cheesy but I like it) helps me tell the difference easier between the 2 cars tbf!
Defo get the painted red I think red albeit standard colour looks the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KJNGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 06:09:09 pm »
All fixed and it’s awesome!!!

Needed four wheel alignment again but after some bushes were replaced on the other side to balance it all out.

Happy happy!!!!

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 06:50:40 pm »
Hmmmm, well loose subframe bolts isn't going to help matters.  Well done VW!

Pulling to one side only under power is usually movement in one wishbone as mentioned already, or severely worn engine/gearbox mount(s).  I would let VW put it right seeing as they did half a job last time.

Is this not just torque steer? I thought it was a common thing in high-ish hp fwd cars and was to be expected. my car does this as well and I thought it was strange at first but have got used to it after reading about it.

Not in the gears the OP mentioned.  MK5s don't really torque steer much. What you're feeling could be tramlining under power, which is different to TS.  On a completely flat road, mine doesn't TS at all.  But if I accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd on a lorry rutted road, it pulls all over the place.

They don’t. Which is weird as the Mk1 Focus RS with only a few more bhp & torque used to torque steer like a salmon climbing a waterfall

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 669
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 09:54:52 am »
Hmmmm, well loose subframe bolts isn't going to help matters.  Well done VW!

Pulling to one side only under power is usually movement in one wishbone as mentioned already, or severely worn engine/gearbox mount(s).  I would let VW put it right seeing as they did half a job last time.

Is this not just torque steer? I thought it was a common thing in high-ish hp fwd cars and was to be expected. my car does this as well and I thought it was strange at first but have got used to it after reading about it.

Not in the gears the OP mentioned.  MK5s don't really torque steer much. What you're feeling could be tramlining under power, which is different to TS.  On a completely flat road, mine doesn't TS at all.  But if I accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd on a lorry rutted road, it pulls all over the place.

They don’t. Which is weird as the Mk1 Focus RS with only a few more bhp & torque used to torque steer like a salmon climbing a waterfall

:grin:   I think journalists put that down to the factory fitted Quaife diff at the time, but was probably down to a combination of things.  18" wheels, aggressive geometry, tyre choice etc.

I had a Quaife in my old Corrado, which made it drive like the Focus, so it probably was mostly that  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 669
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 09:55:39 am »
All fixed and it’s awesome!!!

Needed four wheel alignment again but after some bushes were replaced on the other side to balance it all out.

Happy happy!!!!

Good news  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D