Make a donation

Author Topic: ABS Light  (Read 7726 times)

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
ABS Light
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:48:04 am »
Hey there guys,

Just wondering whether anyone has had a ABS light constantly recurring? For me the ABS, traction control and ESP light turn on together when I either drive really fast (sometimes) or when I brake really hard.

Last night there were total clear roads late at night and took the GTI for a blast  :evilgrin: but as I braked (quite hard, from like 70 odd MPH - on a 70 road of course) .. the 3 lights came on together and I felt kind of like a crunching feeling on the brakes - it felt like the full brake power wasn’t there either which was worrying.

I’m gonna check for fault codes tomorrow again as I already did a few days earlier. Oh and also I stopped the car, turned it off and back on and the lights go away.

Cheers
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline RedSwede

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
Re: ABS Light
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:43:22 pm »
A somewhat useless response, but...

Yes - my Pirelli currently has all three. The roads in the winter where I am are foul and I can manage without the car over the winter - so it's garaged up now. Ig it a good wash on top and underneath before putting it away, and that is when it happened. Haven't been bothered to diagnose it though yet - and it can wait another month or so.

The ABS light is on from start-up, then the other two come on after driving a few yards. My theory is the ABS light is indicating the open-circuit/faulty sensor, then the other two go on as the computer realises they don't have a valid speed signal. I wonder if yours is a loose connection - triggered by g-force in certain situations?

EDIT: For me, the brakes feel normal in every way, but the ABS doesn't work, and the wheels will lock under heavy application (these things have to be tested  :smiley:)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:45:14 pm by RedSwede »

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:36 pm »
You’ll need to get your car scanned but it’s likely to be a rear ABS sensor - either side hub
Parts approx £100 and maybe an hours labour

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:48 pm »
Be aware that your rear wheels can lock before the fronts if driving with ABS/TC/TPMS lights on.

I found out the hard way the other night  :driver:

I currently have a left rear ABS sensor showing  00290'mechanical malfunction' - I did replace both rear hubs (motor factors non gen) and both rear sensors last spring time, hopefully just a hub's gone bad and I can get one replaced under warranty.

Periodically, over the last year during heavy rainfall or after jet washing car I've had the ABS/TC/TPMS come on and go off after a few days. Weird!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:11:55 pm by GVK »

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 11:01:01 pm »
@GVK

Damnn! Thanks for the heads up.. The other day I felt something wrong (the lights were on). I scanned with VCDS and a Snap-on diagnostics and came out with a ABS wheel bearing code. Defo need to get it sorted then!
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 02:39:38 am »
Yeah, must get mine fixed too!

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:15 pm »
Replaced hub on it's own, still had same 00290 mechanical error fault, replaced sensor even though it had same resistance, lights are all off for now.

Has anyone ever had a wiring fault on a mk5 causing this fault? Or worse the ABS controller itself??

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00290

When the left rear sensor is disconnected there is an additional fault showing with an electrical circuit description (still 00290) which is obviously the open circuit. Kind of rules out a wiring fault causing a mechanical error doesn't it?

When the fault was current the left rear showed nothing in the wheel speed live data.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:17:49 pm by GVK »

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 02:15:57 pm »
@GVK are you the GBK that was on the GolfGTI forum many years ago with a black track Mk2 16V?

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 02:40:34 pm »
Yeah, that's me.  :happy2:

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 03:14:24 pm »
Yeah, that's me.  :happy2:

Awesome mate, hope all is well with you. Always loved hearing your updates and seeing that car.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:20 pm »
Hi there guys so here’s an update for you:

The codes I was getting previously were:
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor - Rear Right Mechanical Malfunction
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor - Rear Right Intermittent Signal

These codes cause three lights to come on the dash ESP, ABS and tyre pressure, they used to come on after a certain speed (high speed) or when smashing the car.

So I replaced the Wheel bearing hub today - cost about £30 and there’s been no faults, no ABS lights like there was previously. Of course I will continue driving and have a long run coming up so will let you know if fault still shows however for now it seems to have been fixed.

Cheers
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—