Make a donation

Author Topic: Need 2+ advice. Who do I go with ?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Need 2+ advice. Who do I go with ?
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:51 am »
Hi all. I’ve got an edition 30 with a stage 1 but always fancied a stage 2+, it’s not my only car so it’s just for messing about. I’ve got full exhaust, intake, s3 IC on the way and an organic clutch

I’ve been shopping around and had prices from r-tech and apr. Apr are doing a sale right now so it’s quite tempting. Problem is I’m about 300 miles from rTech so is the extra cost and travel worth it? From what I’ve read apr is just a generic map and r-tech is fully custom.

Tune - £440
VIS Hpfp internals - £390
No fuel return valve needed apparently

R-tech
Tune - £420
auto tech Hpfp internal £400
Rs4 fuel valve £80

What’s everyone’s thoughts ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Need 2+ advice. Who do I go with ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 12:18:56 pm »
Not a lot in it price wise, except 600 miles of fuel.   Both are highly regarded so take your pick.  I'd choose the nearest and cheapest option personally.

As for custom vs generic, you will get a wide variety of opinions, but here is mine:

'Fully custom' is an exaggeration when it comes to tuning a car with the usual bolt ons.  VW did 90% of the most difficult calibration, which tuners don't touch.  It's just minor adjustments, like fine tuning a radio, which I don't consider to be 'fully custom'.  i.e. Sony made the radio, you are just tuning it.   VW made the original tune, APR, revo, R tech etc just fine tune it.

If you rolled up with your non-running car on a low loader because it has a 4" MAF housing (or a MAF delete), massive turbo, screamer pipe, huge exhaust, different intake manifold, bigger throttle, bigger injectors, different cams etc etc. Getting that to start and run reliably for 10 years in every season is extremely time consuming.  Most of what VW did is now irrelevant and has to be redone from scratch.  Now that is 'fullly custom', imo  :smiley:

Perfecting a tune behind the scenes and selling multiple copies of it is given the label 'generic' in the scene, and touted as inferior..... usually by people who've never calibrated an engine themselves.  Do you reckon these people have a problem with McLaren shipping the 720S with the same generic tune?  :wink:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:18:02 pm »
You make a very good point! I’m fairly stupid when it comes to these things so always assumed custom was better. I’ll rebuild anything with bolts involved but know nothing about the software side.

I’ve spoken to ecotune Glasgow who will do my apr map and they say the rs4 fuel valve is not necessary where R-tech say it is. I’ll go with apr’s Advice on this one I think!

And yeh the 600 mile+ round trip is a bit of a nightmare, £100+ fuel costs, a hotel for the night probably and a day off work.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 06:19:08 pm »
I'd probably go with the one nearest to you so that should there be any problems it's easier to take it back.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:05:04 am »
I'd probably go with the one nearest to you so that should there be any problems it's easier to take it back.
This is your answer!  :happy2:

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:12:29 pm »
Cheers for the replies. I’ll get apr to sort me out 😊

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 07:48:40 pm »
Just an update. Went to ecotune in Glasgow for the APR 2+ upgrade. They fitted VIS hpfp internals and it dynod a very healthy 375bhp and 399lbft. Even the guy at ecotune was amazed by the result.  In comparison before the 2+ tune it made 305bhp on the old stage 1 map. Some improvement considering it only has an S3 intercooler fitted.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 10:38:43 am »
Just an update. Went to ecotune in Glasgow for the APR 2+ upgrade. They fitted VIS hpfp internals and it dynod a very healthy 375bhp and 399lbft. Even the guy at ecotune was amazed by the result.  In comparison before the 2+ tune it made 305bhp on the old stage 1 map. Some improvement considering it only has an S3 intercooler fitted.

I assume that's with the 3" turbo back and intake as per your first post?  375hp is impossible with the standard intake and exhaust.

Offline Jgavin1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:44:06 pm »
Yes sorry should have been clearer! Full miltek and revo intake, came with the car so saved a few quid. I was mostly surprised it made those figures  with the s3 intercooler ecotune recommended an airtec but grudged paying £600.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 01:54:11 pm »
I've done real world data logging of the S3 intercooler and it's absolutely fine.  Tuners will often try to sell you something that isn't absolutely necessary.