Make a donation

Author Topic: FSI vacuum pump  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Pissat4motion

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
FSI vacuum pump
« on: March 09, 2019, 08:48:42 pm »
Is anyone having success with replacing the seal/rubber o ring?

Car's an 07.. Revision E I believe. Replaced the ring and still had a leak. Bought a revision G pump, used, replaced the o ring, installed and it leaks even worse.

Is the only remedy replacing the pump with new? Or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: FSI vacuum pump
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 09:00:06 pm »
You need to get the RKX (assuming this is the same as the TFSI) I don’t mine and hasn’t once tried to leak.

This is what I got:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232205692818

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:01:26 pm »
Sorry, I meant to say... don’t buy a new pump... if yours is the same pump as the TFSI 2.0T then get this one and it’ll save you loads of money.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:04:18 pm »
It’s the rubber seal behind the flat plate (covered with the small torq screws) that leaks. Mine was leaking badly, so tried adding a little gasket sealant. Helped, but still leaked and then got progressively worse.

Removed all the gasket sealant and gave it all a good clean up, carefully resat the rubber seal with a touch of grease and retorqued all the screws properly and I haven’t had an issue since.

It will probably leak again but who knows when. VW won’t sell you this seal, you have to buy a new pump, but there are repair kits on American eBay that sell the seal included.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:46:46 am »
It’s the rubber seal behind the flat plate (covered with the small torq screws) that leaks. Mine was leaking badly, so tried adding a little gasket sealant. Helped, but still leaked and then got progressively worse.

Removed all the gasket sealant and gave it all a good clean up, carefully resat the rubber seal with a touch of grease and retorqued all the screws properly and I haven’t had an issue since.

It will probably leak again but who knows when. VW won’t sell you this seal, you have to buy a new pump, but there are repair kits on American eBay that sell the seal included.
Yeah that’s exactly where mine was leaking from chesto, they all leak from there, 3 of us have all repaired the same leak using the American RFX kit and I can safely say 2 of us are still leak free ;-) the 3rd got a new engine so I can’t say how his got on in the end. But was good while he had it.

You’re right, vw will only sell the complete pump, I wasn’t paying hundreds to basically replace an O ring lol.

RKX kit all the way

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:11:55 am by muff1991 »

Offline akdarsh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 04:06:04 am »
Just want to make sure that you didn't use the "Lifetime" kit from RKX with the outer 3 pronged gasket:
https://www.rkxtech.com/products/rkx-vw-audi-2-0t-vacuum-pump-kit?variant=29380827986

Pretty sure that's just for 3.2L engines, right? I've got the 2.0t FSI btw, 2007 GTI

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 12:55:02 pm »
Hi there

If this helps, I recently used the following kit from a UK seller on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK-V-Brake-System-Engine-Vacuum-Pump-Reseal-Kit-06D145100E/153979293364?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649.

This was simple to fit and immediately cured the minor but unsightly leak.  Also took the opportunity to replace the corrugated plastic loom protection under the pump as the oil leaking onto it/heat of the engine had seemed to damage it.

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 11:28:16 am »
Is this relatively easy to do? Noticed mine is leaking and want to attempt fixing it.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:55:39 am »
Yep, really easy.  Just need to check torque settings for the three mounting bolts for when you bolt it back on. Dismantling the pump, changing the seals and reassembling is all straightforward.  Just need to make sure the bottom bolt to head is in correctly when refitting as a cable holder is also involved and can hold it out too far if not.

Really satisfying job to do and allows you to clean up all the gunk from the leak.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 04:25:59 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll get one ordered.  I've only ever replaced the main seal that usually leaks, but I didn't realise there were a bunch of other seals involved!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D