Make a donation

Author Topic: Unleaded or Superunleaded  (Read 9123 times)

Offline agmac

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Unleaded or Superunleaded
« on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:35 am »
Hi
My car came with the orignal VW brochure which says 95RON fuel for GTI and Edition 30 but sticker on filler flap say 98RON.

Any advice out there on this one?
thanks

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Unleaded or Superunleaded
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:10 pm »
It'll run fine on either but I always use she'll v-power which I think is now 99 RON.

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:47:24 pm »
Tesco 99 works well. Runs much better on higher octane fuel. Seems to start better, pull better  and MPG seems better. No conclusive tests done though! Just perception.

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:29:59 pm »
I vouch for Tesco Momentum 99. Much cheaper than V Power and car performs much better. I’ve seen dyno research with and without 99 RON and with premium unleaded it gives more HP
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:03 am »
If you live near a Costo petrol station, you could go for their Super Unleaded. This is 99 Ron also.
I believe its the same stuff as Tesco Momentum - i read somewhere that the fuel is from the same tankers / distributors.

Rich

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 08:41:17 am »
Shell v-power all day long, wouldn’t touch Tesco’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:58 am »

Why?

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:43:18 am »
Costco fuel is 97 RON, not 99. have a look under the 'What products do you sell' section: https://www.costco.co.uk/fuel-q-and-a

Nothing wrong with Momentum 99. I've used it for years, noticed no difference in terms of timing correction on my Leon. Was previously a regular user of V-Power until my local store closed and the only store within a reasonable distance is a Motorway services
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:10 am »

Why?

I get way less miles using Tesco Fuel ⛽️
In any of my cars, hence my statement.

MK5 ED30

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:04:07 am »
Costco fuel is 97 RON, not 99. have a look under the 'What products do you sell' section: https://www.costco.co.uk/fuel-q-and-a

Nothing wrong with Momentum 99. I've used it for years, noticed no difference in terms of timing correction on my Leon. Was previously a regular user of V-Power until my local store closed and the only store within a reasonable distance is a Motorway services

Dan - as far as im aware, Costco used to sell 97 Super Unleaded but now 99 Ron - it certainly the case at Costco Chadderton and Trafford.

Rich

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »
98 on the petrol flap is the recommended RON.  95 RON in smaller writing is the minimum.

A standard engine will be fine on either.  Remapped engines should probably stick to 98/99 to avoid summer detonation.

Personally I use Shell because it's relatively expensive, therefore much quieter forecourts.  Every week where I live it's the same..... hoards of supermarket morons blocking the road at Tesco because of their must have 'Friday fill up'  :doh:   I'd rather pay a few quid more at shell or BP than sit in that!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 02:56:25 pm »
I use Sainsbury's super unleaded (97 Ron?) and it runs fine. I did put regular Unleaded in when I first got it and noticed it was sluggish and didn't seem to run well on tick over.

I have used V-Power but its like 20p more near me and I honestly couldn't tell the difference in the way it ran or the MPG.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 03:27:07 pm »
You won't notice a change in mpg between 95 - 99.  There is a misconception that some pump fuels are more 'calorific' than others, but it's not true.  Petrol is petrol.  The only thing that varies is resistance to knock. 

Ideally everyone should be using 98, as per the fuel flap.  That is the test fuel VW mapped the engine to run on. To guarantee the minimum claimed power (197ps & 230ps) in all weathers, it's the fuel to use.  95 will work, but even the handbook states (paraphrased) "reduced power...." in particular, on very hot days and steep hills in tall gears.

The only fuels that do have different 'calorific' levels to petrol are diesel, ehtanol, nitromethane, and some race fuel blends.

In summary - use 98/99  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 02:47:48 pm »
Dan - as far as im aware, Costco used to sell 97 Super Unleaded but now 99 Ron - it certainly the case at Costco Chadderton and Trafford.
Rich

My local Costco used to sell 99 RON Super Unleaded, went back there a few days ago to top up and was wondering why the fuel had suddenly gone 5p a litre cheaper only to realise on the fuel pump label they now downgraded the fuel to 97 RON, you can just about see the old residue of where the old 99 RON label used to be.

So if you're regular Costco fuel customer and must use 99 RON due to some custom mapping, double check on the label before you fill up!

Offline agmac

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 08:21:38 am »
Thanks everybody for replying. My local fuel station is Tesco so I've been using 99RON Momentum so far. Next nearest is rip off Shell motorway service station. Good to know that if I can't get 99RON then 95RON will do and I won't break the car.

Loving the Edition 30 by the way - awesome car, even in standard spec.