Make a donation

Author Topic: New owner - Did I buy a dog?  (Read 908 times)

Garlicmayosquad

New owner - Did I buy a dog?
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:23 am »
Hi guys,

So, was wondering if you guys could give me a reality check. As I am worrying that I have bought a bit of a dog..

Two weeks ago I got this Edition 30 in black, 109k, most extras except Xenon's and folding wing mirrors.

I have only ever driven a 1.6 Golf IV before this, so as you can imagine getting into this rocket absolutely sold me straight away

One little dent on the rear arch,  little chip on the front wing and few marks near the boot area but overall looks quite good when cleaned up. Interior wise, small hole in the rear upholstery (which I did not initially notice, looks almost like a cigarette burn....) and a very worn drivers bolster, which I hear is quite common.

I ended up paying 5.5k. I was a little trigger happy, and now worried that I've bought a time bomb... My main points are:

1. I have now understood the importance of receipts for work done (better late than never right?). Now this car has almost no receipts pre 2018, only stamps in the book. 7 VW services and 3 independent. I have a receipt for a cambelt at 107k, and plugs during a MOT. It has stamp for the DSG service at 53k, and I was told it had another DSG service in late 2017 as well as cam follower... But no proof of this...

2. Car has had 7 owners... Yes 7... It's a 2007 so I guess it's not that crazy, but is that a massive red flag?

3. It looks like the car was put on ditchfinders (namely Joy Roads) to pass an MOT back in late 2017. It then changed hands to the previous owner in early 2018 where he replaced one with a continental.... I am planning to put the whole thing on Avon's if I keep it.. But how bad of a sign is this.

Anyway guys, would appreciate your opinions however harsh. Cheers

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:59:12 am by Garlicmayosquad »