Make a donation

Author Topic: After a CAN Gateway  (Read 3021 times)

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
After a CAN Gateway
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:10:16 pm »
Hi guys,

I’m after a CAN gatway for my GTI.. Currently, after checking VCDS I have the F revision and that is prone to battery drain.
I have a new head unit on the way (Xtrons Android) which also supports Android Auto and CarPlay if you didn’t know that (you can get an extra dongle that allows this).

So I need a new gateway and from what I’ve heard L or newer is what I need but I can seem to find any on eBay. I have tried contacting @Eddie-NL  but guess he doesn’t do then anymore.

Any help on where I can buy one would be much appreciated.
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: After a CAN Gateway
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:21:47 am »
Should be plenty of Canbus Gateways on eBay, search for the 7N0 907 530 gateways as they supersede the older 1N0 907 530 gateways and is backwards compatible with the MK5 Golf.

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:12:20 pm »
Hi there

Cheers yes I did manage to find them in the end. Do you think the 1K0907530L will stop battery drain issue or do you have to get the 7NO ones. The 7NO ones seem to be a bit more expensive too lol.

I have found a few 1K0 ones but the L revision for around £20. One of them that I found came of an Audi A3 but should still fit in a golf.
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 02:40:19 pm »
As you're using a third party XTRONS unit you probably could get away with the older Canbus Gateway but I can't verify as I have an OEM RCD330 in mine with the updated 7N0 gateway.

Though you could modify the unit wires to prevent battery draining in standby position, see here for info.

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:57:08 pm »
Thanks for the help  :happy2:

Okay so I’ve been told that a new can Gateway won’t prevent battery drain for a third party unit such as the xtrons. I was just wondering whether this is right? Or if anyone has tried it. One of the eBay sellers told me this who sell CAN Gateways but possibly I’m thinking they say that to cover their backs in the case of disputes.

Thanks
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:02:12 am »
@olsen-72

Alex Retrofits can supply these and fit
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 04:10:13 pm »
Thanks for the help  :happy2:

Okay so I’ve been told that a new can Gateway won’t prevent battery drain for a third party unit such as the xtrons. I was just wondering whether this is right? Or if anyone has tried it. One of the eBay sellers told me this who sell CAN Gateways but possibly I’m thinking they say that to cover their backs in the case of disputes.

Thanks
PM me if you still need it.
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline Mark22

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 11:29:43 pm »
For china things you dont need any can g-way upgrades or wires, just for oem radios.

Offline Wadgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 11:24:42 am »
For china things you dont need any can g-way upgrades or wires, just for oem radios.

I have been putting off buying a new radio due to the battery drain.

I have been looking at this https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/car-stereos/pioneer-mvh-a210bt-car-stereo

and using a connect2 for the canbus controls - however Im not sure if I will get the battery drain?

Offline E8RNX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:29 pm »
I fit an XTRONS Android System in my GTI 55 plate. Bought a new CANBUS too however it turned out I didn’t need it.. My car has no battery drain at all even after not being started for a week or so, fires up right away.
—MK5 Golf GTI DSG—