Make a donation

Author Topic: Strange intermitten misfire like symptoms  (Read 1170 times)

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Strange intermitten misfire like symptoms
« on: March 23, 2019, 07:30:02 pm »
Been having this issue for a while and have no idea what it is, only happens sometimes. So on the m1 today at around 70 or 80 if i put my foot down it sort of misfires a little every second or so, or it sort of feels like the power is cutting every second, doesnt really sound like a misfire but its the only way i can describe it. Also the cold air intake induction sound starts buffeting so instead of a constant whooshing sound it goes up and down in volume. Lasty when these symtoms happen the car does sound quite alot louder than normal and feels down on power. Then sometimes the car drives fine. It is a dsg with a decat.

Really want to sort this issue before visiting Rtech

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Strange intermitten misfire like symptoms
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 09:53:44 pm »
Have you got access to vcds?

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:22:59 am »
Yes I do have vcds.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 09:37:36 am »
Have you checked the misfire count on the plug banks and how old are your plugs and what are they? Could be a failing plug coil. Also could be a vacuum leak somewhere under load.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:43 pm »
Plugs im not too sure how old I really should get new ones and the coils VW changed them for free when i got a dsg service last year, apparently It was a recall.

I'll check the misfire count too but I have a feeling its a vacuum leak somewhere under load.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=khda9v3jb4ppehr1hdhjdkeo36&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 10:23:09 pm »
You really need to scan it with vcds to give anyone on here any chance to beginning to trouble shoot for you  :happy2:

It could be 100 things

Offline waqasr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 03:06:56 am »
You are right Rich. It hasnt got any fault codes logged but what should I be logging? If i could get some help into what data I should record and then i could post my results here. Though im going on holiday for 2 weeks so itll be after that. Thanks