Make a donation

Author Topic: Tensioner  (Read 4951 times)

Offline Wadgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Tensioner
« on: March 25, 2019, 10:42:07 am »
Hi Folks,

Looking for a little of advice with my new mk5 gti.

Did the cam follower at the weekend and noticed the alt tensioner was moving a little bit whilst idling. From what I have read online the alternator pulley may be the cuplrit. I need to the change the thermostate next week when I am off work so I thought I would do it all together.

Can anyone advise if INA are the oem supplier to VW? Also I am going to renew the alternator bolts and tensioner bolts - can anyone recommend a torque setting for them.

The timing belt was done 2 years ago (10k miles ago) - just thinking with the alternator, thermostat and belt off is anything else worth doing in the area. Going to use a VW thermostat as I have had bad luck with ECP's ones in the past lol.

Thanks  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 01:18:07 pm »
Yep, INA make the alternator pulley.  Verify it's knackered first before buying one as they're about £65ish last time I got one, and you need a special tool to take it off (linked below).

Take the belt off and check the alternator pulley slips in one direction when turning it back and forth.  If it does, it's fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-3404-Alternator-Tool-Star/dp/B003AMTYR0

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:06:44 pm »
I'd fit a new temp sensor into the thermostat as it's much easier to do it off the car, change the coolant and the aux belt as well. Also research on YouTube on how to retract the sliders on the alternator as it makes removal and installation so much easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpB48kCCdUk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:19:33 pm by Octoparrot »

Offline Wadgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:38:11 pm »
I'd fit a new temp sensor into the thermostat as it's much easier to do it off the car, change the coolant and the aux belt as well. Also research on YouTube on how to retract the sliders on the alternator as it makes removal and installation so much easier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SpB48kCCdUk

Thanks. I dont have a bench but i  work the sliders one way or another.

Temp sendor? I thought this was behind the HPFP on the right hand side, i ever though there was next to the stat or unless you mean changing for the coolant change. I have logged the temp sendor and seems to be fine.

Also can any one had a problem with seized spark plugs on the 2.0 tsfi? I bought the car last month, went to change the plugs and there are solid wouldnt budge at all. Felt if I went anymore the head of the plug would snap. Had a look down tube and seemed clear of debris and visible corrosion. Any one got a recommendation on what to soak the plug in? Don't think wd 40 is would be good.

Apart from that really liking the mk5 :) even tho I think i have the dreaded intake flap code now...

Thanks

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:08 am »
I think some of not all have a temp sensor in/on the thermostat housing. What @Octoparrot is saying: if you're going through the trouble of changing the stat, while you're at it you just as well put a new Temp sensor in and save yourself time doing the job again down the line. (unless time is cool, and you don't mind doing it again of course).

when I changed my spark plugs, Mine was also very tight, awfully tight.. but eventually they came free  :happy2: you could try squirting some WD40 down the whole, wont do much harm. it will probably just smoke for a little bit once started up afterwards.

Offline Wadgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 12:55:03 pm »
I think some of not all have a temp sensor in/on the thermostat housing. What @Octoparrot is saying: if you're going through the trouble of changing the stat, while you're at it you just as well put a new Temp sensor in and save yourself time doing the job again down the line. (unless time is cool, and you don't mind doing it again of course).

when I changed my spark plugs, Mine was also very tight, awfully tight.. but eventually they came free  :happy2: you could try squirting some WD40 down the whole, wont do much harm. it will probably just smoke for a little bit once started up afterwards.

Thanks. Yeah I got a one from TPS the day I picked the thermostat up from VW. Job was ok to do, more of a paint putting everything back on. Alt was fine. The most trouble I had was putting the air intake on from the cooler to the throttle body.

Can now sits nicely at 90, better mpg and some more power. Im going to take the inlet valves and manifold flap next.

Car has done 97k so was looking to get it remapped in the summer. Not sure if the manfold flaps would cause an Issue wioth the power output on a remap?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:48 am »
the manifold flaps (unless faulty) shouldn't make a difference at all to the map. Some people start deleting them Stage 2+ onwards.