Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a mk6 gti over a mk5 gti  (Read 10140 times)

Offline gstyle17009

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Buying a mk6 gti over a mk5 gti
« on: March 29, 2019, 05:29:16 pm »
Hi guys,

I have been searching for the past month for a decent mk5 gti dsg and haven't came across much.

So now a mk6 gti dsg has came up though it has been tracked i think on the nurburgring.

it is an 2011 so no tensioner issues as far as im aware.

Would it be worth paying say 8k for a mk6 gti dsg instead of say 3-3.5k for a mk5 manual?

And does it being bought as a vw pre-owned car last year add any value to it? I know it was bought for approx £10k. and I am being offered it for approx £8k. 3 owners, 100k miles approx.

I am just thinking with the mk8 coming out later this year. Possibly could mk6 massively deprecate at the end of the year?

Thanks guys!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:52:51 pm by gstyle17009 »

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: Buying a mk6 gti over a mk5 gti
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »
The bmw pre-owned  scheme just meant it had full dealer service history. What is the cost of a simular car from a private seller? I'd rather buy private from a fellow petrol head who had loved the care rather than someone who has paid through the nose the have vw service it.

If it's been tracked I'd want to see it having evidence of extra servicing not just normal service intervals.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:36:52 am »
The MK6 is what the MK5 should have been build quality wise, and 2011 gets you out of the troublesome chain wear zone.  That affected 2009-2010 models, but still worth checking the chain slack in VCDS regardless.

Probably worth stretching the budget for a MK6 R.  It has the much stronger CDL K04 engine and better styling.  The EA888 is a step forward in refinement and low end torque, but it's a far more complex engine, which = £££s when it breaks.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:05 am »
Maybe also look at the S3 8P for similar money to the mk6 GTi.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:17:53 am »
Hi Gstyle,

You seemed to read my mind! I have looked at mk5 GTI's for a little while and have been sadly disappointed by the range and price (as a buyer) and want something with the classic tartan and heated seats, 5 door and that doesnt have rusty front archs. Unless you want to pay £4k+ theres nothing really that nice out there. Far more leather and 3 doors. Plus moon miles, amd although I'm not against high miles its hard to keep bodywork and interiors looking fresh with high mileage and suspension/bushes are throroughly knackered on a 10+ year old car (My 3rd car was a PD Bora Sport with 141k when I bought it)

The mk6 GTI doesnt get the same praise as the mk5 and I am wondering if this is because its just a general refresh rather than a completely different car (not as big a jump as mk4 to mk5) but it certainly doesnt get bad reviews.

My other gripe with the the mk5 is the interior looks dated. The mk6 interior looks far better and even for 100k seems to wear better than the mk5. Heated seats and aux in as standard and more 5 doors (from what I have found) make it promising.

Likewise, even though the earlier ones suffer from cam chain tensioners from looking around if they are going to break/skip it appears to happen under 100k. It seems unlikely that a car with 100k would reach that mileage without a skipping chain at some point. Otherwise, they seem to have addressed other issues and the EA888 seems quite reliable.

Does anyone know how easy it is retrofit xenon headlights?

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:22 am »
By the sounds of it you it looks like your already set on the path for a Mk6.

I like the Mk6 myself and you don’t see many about and yes the interior does look better in some respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:00:16 pm »
Unless you want to pay £4k+ theres nothing really that nice out there.

I'm sorry but that is a really puny budget for a MK5 unless you actually want a beater, or a project. 

The same low budget = low outcome applies to MK6s.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 05:16:18 am »

I'm sorry but that is a really puny budget for a MK5 unless you actually want a beater, or a project. 

From what I have seen, yes to a degree. The interiors wear better for the mileage. But its comparing a 14 to 10 year old car to a 10-7 year old car so on the face of it its unfair. Low budget mk6's are high mileage and low spec (halogens, non LED rears, etc) which often came in the later years but generally seem tidy. No faded headlamps, faded plastics, etc. Again, that might be an age thing and in a few years they will start to look shabby?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 01:15:57 pm »
It's all relative I guess.  The MK6 GTI wasn't as big a seller as the MK5 so there are comparatively fewer about.  I also get the impression MK6 owners looked after them better. Cheap MK5s fall into the wrong hands and upkeep suffers as a result.

Yes MK6s are better spec'd, but you can also get factory xenons etc on some MK5s to avoid the faded headlight problem.

The only thing to watch for on the MK6 is the 2009-2010 chain tensioner issue.  In that regard the ED35 is a good bet as it uses the older CDL engine from the S3 which is bomb proof and way more powerful than any standard MK6 GTI.

Lots to consider.  Happy hunting!

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 07:44:07 am »

Hey! my old girl is probably only worth about £2.5k but with a 140k miles it is a belter. I'm shielding her ears lol
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline Alex Booth

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • AKS Tuning
    • AKS Tuning
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 11:14:57 am »
I would personally go for either an Edition 30, or S3 8P at that sort of money. Lots of nice examples for sale currently.

Both come with the K04 set-up already, if you wanted to go for decent power in the MK6 GTi then factor in the cost of the K04 conversion as well. I would stay clear of the Gen 1 TSi engine IMO.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 10:23:48 pm »
I would personally go for either an Edition 30, or S3 8P at that sort of money. Lots of nice examples for sale currently.

Both come with the K04 set-up already, if you wanted to go for decent power in the MK6 GTi then factor in the cost of the K04 conversion as well. I would stay clear of the Gen 1 TSi engine IMO.

Sounds daft, I have never been against a high mileage option but the mk6's seem to just hold up so much better than the mk5's. I had a look at a mk6 with 103k on the clock and other than a bit of laquer peel on the alloys it looks really clean. I keep looking at mk5's and then find a mk6 in the budget and just think it fits my bill better. I want a 5 door so the S3 is off the cards. I like Edition 30's however as its going to be a daily, black isnt great and red is not my thing. Grey or silver for sure, but with 6k its the lower end of the spectrum for good Edition 30's.

Offline mart.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 03:57:34 pm »
Would people plump for an edition 30 over a Leon Cupra? Same engine and Leon a few years younger. I’m drawn to the eddy but can get lower miles for the same money with the Leon and have owned one previously. Cheers! 

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 07:44:53 pm »
Would people plump for an edition 30 over a Leon Cupra? Same engine and Leon a few years younger. I’m drawn to the eddy but can get lower miles for the same money with the Leon and have owned one previously. Cheers!

GTi is an iconic design with timeless appeal and integrity. Seat lacks the x factor.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 07:49:47 pm »

My non-car educated friend wanted a golf gti and I told him about a cupra for less money but he wanted a golf got. He'd never heard of a leon cupra.