Make a donation

Author Topic: Strange Sound  (Read 5809 times)

Offline Brad_R32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Strange Sound
« on: April 19, 2019, 11:10:07 pm »
Hi guys I'm new to the forum! 

I have owned my Mk5 R32 for around 8 months or so now and just recently it has started making a grinding sound (closest sound I can't out it to, it's relatively high pitch and not massively loud) from the air con vents. It does not make the noise when the engine is off and air con is on, and makes it when the engine in on and air con is on.

However it will stop if I turn air con off or if I turn on ECON. I have no clue what could be making this sound so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Strange Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 12:10:40 am »
I have a similar noise on my Eddy ... although I live with it I have feeling its bearing/clutch noise being transmitted though the engine bay from the AC compressor. At least thats one possibility and for now I am ignoring it unless it becomes terminal and the compressor dies. Maybe I shouldn't.

Does it increase in noise if you rev the engine?

By the way welcome to the odd sounds from a MK5 club  :grin:
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Brad_R32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:14:33 am »
I have a similar noise on my Eddy ... although I live with it I have feeling its bearing/clutch noise being transmitted though the engine bay from the AC compressor. At least thats one possibility and for now I am ignoring it unless it becomes terminal and the compressor dies. Maybe I shouldn't.

Does it increase in noise if you rev the engine?

By the way welcome to the odd sounds from a MK5 club  :grin:
Hi there, no seems to stay the same and does the noise rather intermittently. Seems it must be the compressor directing some kind of noise, as it goes with ECON enable which I assume would turn off the compressor.

Suppose I'll just deal with it and join the club!

Thanks for the reply! 

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 07:45:21 am »
Same issue periodically with the wife’s Octavia RS.  An Aircon service/re-gas fixes it.  Let’s hope it’s just that.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:25:05 am »
you could try removing the Auxiliary belt for a minute or 2 to see if the noise disappears.. this would indicate if it was the AC compressor. or possibly another pulley on the line which is dealt more strain once the AC is turned on. More than likely I think Ripstop is correct and its the compressor.

By the way.. .that's one lovely R32  :laugh:

Offline Brad_R32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 09:52:00 am »
Same issue periodically with the wife’s Octavia RS.  An Aircon service/re-gas fixes it.  Let’s hope it’s just that.
Hi thanks I'll look into trying this soon!

Offline Brad_R32

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:53:05 am »
you could try removing the Auxiliary belt for a minute or 2 to see if the noise disappears.. this would indicate if it was the AC compressor. or possibly another pulley on the line which is dealt more strain once the AC is turned on. More than likely I think Ripstop is correct and its the compressor.

By the way.. .that's one lovely R32 
Hi I'm not too sure which belt to remove to test that.... Is it definitely the auxiliary I want to look into removing ? And thankyou very much!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:38 am »

By the way.. .that's one lovely R32 
Hi I'm not too sure which belt to remove to test that.... Is it definitely the auxiliary I want to look into removing ? And thankyou very much!

Yes mate, the Auxiliary belt runs the alternator, AC etc. (unless I'm mistaken this belt should run those on the R32 too)