Make a donation

Author Topic: Passenger Rear Door Wont Lock?  (Read 20819 times)

Offline billy187

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Passenger Rear Door Wont Lock?
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:38:55 pm »
Hi guys,

Bought another MK5 on saturday from a private dealer and gutted i never checked the rear door but the passenger side doesnt lock with the fob or from inside the car?

You can hear it making the clicking sound when the fob is pressed but thats all it does.

Is it likely a case of needing a new lock mechanism?

Is there any links on a how to replace it? Will give it a go myself if its not too bad.

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: Passenger Rear Door Wont Lock?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »
Sounds like it probably wants a new door lock module. You can pick them up off ebay. I got one for mine for about 30 quid. About £120 from the dealers though. Its not a bad job to do actually. You have to remove the outer door skin to gain access. Not as bad as it sounds. You leave the door card on.

This is for the front door but should be the same for the rears.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/door-skin-jetta-remove.htm

Offline Huggers

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
I had this exact problem. Above post answers it

Offline seckles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »
I had the opposite problem i.e. my rear door would often not unlock. So I followed a guide like the one above and took the skin off to gain access to the lock module, which was surprisingly easy to do. I then put everything back together after getting the part no. & giving it quick spray with WD40 and the lock has been fine since!

Either way, you need to take the skin off, which is really easy to do, and get a new lock module (from eBay or dealer) or maybe you'll get lucky like me & it just needs a clean!

Steve
Tornado Red ED30 5Dr. Xenons, RNS510, MFSW, Rear Parking Sensors, Folding mirrors+ambient lighting, Rear Tints, Highline, Arm rest+iPod Prep

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 12:55:02 pm »
I had the same issue - rear door wouldnt lock at all. Got a cheap new one off ebay and fitted it - wasnt too bad a job. Be careful not to overtighten the cable when pushing it back in the handle, make a note/take pic of where it is. I did it too tight and it wouldnt open properly until I loosened off a bit...
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior