Make a donation

Author Topic: Car won't start, no crank. Seems like ECU has reset?  (Read 1295 times)

firsttimegti

Car won't start, no crank. Seems like ECU has reset?
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:40 pm »
Hi all,

I've had a mk5 GTI for about 6 months, and finally got some time to do some tidying up of small problems this weekend. I refitted doorcards after having the door handle plastics repainted, and swapped the interior dome light which had a broken switch. After trying to swap the front ashtray for a "12V socket plus extra storage" part, the car won't start... I've done about 120 miles driving today, including 2 "stop and starts" to break up the journey, so really doubt it's the battery.

With the key turned to ignition, the dash lights up, on turning to the start position I get nothing, and the dash goes out. The clock time seems to have reset, but the mileage hasn't. I'm guessing some kind of reset has occurred? I may have tried to start the car whilst having the "EPC OFF" switch, "Set tyre pressure" switch and the 12V socket disconnected (I was trying to move the gearstick so I had space to fit the new part - the gearbox is DSG) so wonder if I've confused the system by trying to do this...

I'm not sure what else I can try before calling a recovery company and heading to a garage, does anyone have a hint or tip as to what's happened?

Cheers

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Car won't start, no crank. Seems like ECU has reset?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:43 am »
If all the lights go dim on cranking it sounds like the battery is flat. You've probably run it down whilst working on it. Get it on charge
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

firsttimegti

Re: Car won't start, no crank. Seems like ECU has reset?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 12:05:13 pm »
It was indeed a flat battery, a test with a voltmeter showed 7.5V... the root cause was fitting the doorcards with the interior light on all afternoon. Gah. Won't make that mistake again!!! Thanks