Make a donation

Author Topic: Dogbone mount vibrations  (Read 2575 times)

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
Dogbone mount vibrations
« on: April 16, 2019, 07:07:53 pm »
About a month ago i fitted a superpro dogbone insert and an APR pendulum mount. All was fine until about a week ago where on idle there was a deafening vibration, as in there was more cabin vibration after the install but its now ridiculous and something is wrong.
So today i took it off and all looks fine nothing is bent or distorted, i was a sure the pendulum mount was touching the subframe causing the vibrations, so i stuck a washer in to lift it up and now it is definitely not touching the subframe but the vibration is still there.

My only other option is stick the stock pendulum mount back on to see if the vibration persists, but i need to get the stock bolts first.

I'm thinking that perhaps the stock dogbone mount itself is buggered, could that be causing the vibrations? is that an easy fix? :thinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Dogbone mount vibrations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:14:35 pm »
Confused.com...... you have an APR torque link, a superpro dogbone and a standard dogbone??!

Considering the APR mount solidly mounts to the gearbox, I'm not surprised it's got horrible NVH.

Stick a vibratechnics dogbone mount in with stock torque link and be done with it  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:30:37 pm »
Confused.com...... you have an APR torque link, a superpro dogbone and a standard dogbone??!

Considering the APR mount solidly mounts to the gearbox, I'm not surprised it's got horrible NVH.

Stick a vibratechnics dogbone mount in with stock torque link and be done with it  :happy2:

Pudding I'm confused too

This is my setup

The NVH was perfectly acceptable for a month and its only the last week something has given way and now its unbearable.

i should say that its more of a rattle than vibration. i also clambered under the jacked up car and pulled down on the pendulum mount whilst the car was running and this eradicated the rattling. i had a second person in the car.

I still have to replace the stock pendulum mount, so if the rattling is still there, ill report back.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 03:26:52 pm »
Ah, gotcha.  The dogbone bush looks a bit deformed in that pic.  Could be a cause?

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:10:18 pm »
Got around to fitting the stock pendulum mount today. Rattling has totally disappeared.
Bit annoying as the APR mount was rather expensive. Superpro insert is still in and still makes a considerable difference over stock.
So i could have just gone with that in the first place and saved a lot of money. :doh:

I cant really resell it in good concious and the bolts are one use so the things pretty useless now.

Although it does make a rather fancy paper weight.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 12:45:29 pm »
Bummer. I went with just the insert as I have also done with the engine and gear box mounts.

I tried fancy dan full poly mounts on my old mk2 and i couldn't live with the NVH.

maybe go back to APR and tell them the NVH was unlivable, see what they say.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 12:56:28 pm »
It's a solid arm, APR will just say it's normal.  The OEM arm has a rubber bush in it which takes a LOT of NVH out.    The gearbox is by far the noisiest & roughest part of the entire drivetrain.