Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 GTI brakes upgrade from stock  (Read 13807 times)

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 1
MK5 GTI brakes upgrade from stock
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:22:05 pm »
I’ve asked something similar before but got mixed answers so I’m still not sure.

Need to upgrade stock brakes all around on my MK5 GTI and thought to go for EBC Yellowstuff discs and pads. What’s your experience of these? Do you recommend anything else? I’m happy to pay c. £400. In my previous post someone said go for MK7 Performance Pack brakes or MK7 R brakes. Another suggested to keep stock discs and get Mintex pads.

Also new to all this so are there different MM size for pads/discs? If so, how can I find out which I need? And what’s the best type of disc? Slotted, grooved etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Re: MK5 GTI brakes upgrade from stock
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
When the discs and pads on the front of my car are due for replacement i'll be going to Mk5 R32 front brake setup.

I've found a place that offers a full upgrade kit including totally refurbished calipers, ferodo pads, 345mm discs and HEL braided hoses for under £500 which I believe is a decent price although if someone can advice where I can get the same result cheaper i'd happily listen.

I'm intrigued by the Mk7 performance brake upgrade, in terms of cost and stopping power vs Mk5 R32

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:36 am »
When the discs and pads on the front of my car are due for replacement i'll be going to Mk5 R32 front brake setup.

I've found a place that offers a full upgrade kit including totally refurbished calipers, ferodo pads, 345mm discs and HEL braided hoses for under £500 which I believe is a decent price although if someone can advice where I can get the same result cheaper i'd happily listen.

I'm intrigued by the Mk7 performance brake upgrade, in terms of cost and stopping power vs Mk5 R32
That’s sounds like a pretty good deal. Would you mind telling me the name of the place?

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:37:42 am »

That’s sounds like a pretty good deal. Would you mind telling me the name of the place?

No problem, link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon-Cupra-Mk2-345-Mm-Front-Brake-Calipers-Carriers-R32-S3/113588626653?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I figure a good set of front discs and pads for the standard GTI brake setup is going to be £200+, I also think you'd get £100 for a pair of good condition gti front calipers.. so all in all not an over the top upgrade, what i've read suggests for fast road use the R32/S3 front setup is more than adequate and a good budget friendly upgrade over standard.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 11:48:45 am »
Yellow stuff = crap.

MK7 Performance Pack/Cupra R/MK7 R = great.

MK5 R32 = effective, but effin' heavy.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »
Yellow stuff = crap.

Whats the going rate of a Mk7 R upgrade kit? in comparison to circa. £500 for MK5 R32?

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:09:17 pm »
I have NQSBBK Porsche Boxster 986 4 piston calipers + GTI Brembo Max discs on my GTI. Great bit of kit as it blends good stopping power without breaking the bank (I managed to get my setup for around £500-ish overall), plus consumables such as the discs and pads are still relatively affordable to replace compared to most BBKs. The Porsche calipers are also much lighter than the stock iron cast GTI brakes which is good for weight saving!

As well as using it as a daily (saved my bacon a couple of times when some people just pull out of junctions without looking! :fighting:) it also survived a track day at the Nurburgring just fine! By far my favourite mod to date on the GTI.

Offline OllieL

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:49:58 pm »
I have a set of S3 brakes (same as r32) than I’ll be selling shortly from my old car.

I currently have mk7 R brakes on the front of my GTI, and I think they are pretty similar in terms of overall stopping.

However I do think the MK7 brakes are a little bit better at modulating their braking power (when jumping in mine after driving my fiancées car which is fitted with s3 brakes).

Don’t think you’ll go wrong with either from my experience of these brake upgrades.

Def saved me a few times, especially on the motorway in my old TDI
DSG

Ollie

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:36:14 pm »
Yellow stuff = crap.

Whats the going rate of a Mk7 R upgrade kit? in comparison to circa. £500 for MK5 R32?

Not sure, probably around the same.   

I bought my stuff new.  I don't like second hand brakes or engines as you don't know what abuse they received from previous owners.

Brand new Cupra R 280 (same as 7R/S3/PP) calipers & carriers with pads from ebay for £350, then just added genuine Clubsport S 2 piece discs to that, which were another £300 iirc.  Not a cheap option, but a very effective one, and all OEM for reliability, fit and finish and life span.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:13:02 am »
Yellow stuff = crap.

Puddng, any more info on why the yellow spot = crap?

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 09:14:40 am »
Yellow stuff = crap.

Yeah, I’d like to know this too.

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 09:16:29 am »
Is there any problem with brake balance if you install upgrades on the front (MK7 Performance Pack/Cupra R/MK7 R / MK5 R32) and leave the rears as standard?

Offline H4MXU

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 09:19:23 am »
Yellow stuff = crap.

I’m getting used MK7 R Brake Caliper Kit front and rear for £300. Do you think that’s a good deal?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 12:36:38 pm »
Yellow stuff = crap.

They are a track pad and need a lot of heat to get good bite, and even then it's average compared to better brand pads.  Their initial bite when cold is terrible.  Easily the worst track/fast road pad I've ever used.  EBC stuff is cheap for a reason  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 12:37:50 pm »
Is there any problem with brake balance if you install upgrades on the front (MK7 Performance Pack/Cupra R/MK7 R / MK5 R32) and leave the rears as standard?

Nope.  The MK7 brakes fix the standard front brakes' main problem.......fade!   The rears work well and don't need messing with, but some people like to uprate those as well.