Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf MK5 GTI - Suspension refresh - happy medium for comfort/handling  (Read 6516 times)

Offline bazmk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
I'm in the process of doing the entire suspension on my mk5, to date ive done shocks and springs (Eibach/H&R) the front end Ive gone with TT arms and the whiteline anti lift kit and ball joints. I also put in TTRS top mounts and Meyle HD drop links and steering tie rods, I also put the Audi upgrade bolts into the subframe. These upgrades made a huge difference and I'm now in the process of building the back end from a used sub-frame i got that was in decent shape.

So far ive sand blasted the frame and primed it for paint, Ive new arms to go in and I'm fitting the flowflex kit to the rear - basically doing whats shown here:

Main difference is im fitting a set of godspeed adjustable arms to allow some adjustment in the rear end.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01:01:49 am by bazmk5 »

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
I'm in the process of doing the entire suspension on my mk5, to date ive done shocks and springs (Eibach/H&R) the front end Ive gone with TT arms and the whiteline anti lift kit and ball joints. I also put in TTRS top mounts and Meyle HD drop links and steering tie rods, I also put the Audi upgrade bolts into the subframe. These upgrades made a huge difference and I'm now in the process of building the back end from a used sub-frame i got that was in decent shape.

So far ive sand blasted the frame and primed it for paint, Ive new arms to go in and I'm fitting the flowflex kit to the rear - basically doing whats shown here:

Main difference is im fitting a set of godspeed adjustable arms to allow some adjustment in the rear end.
Reviews of flo flex are not too good. Have a look at the powerflex.

Offline djcamgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
I've just updated the OEM shocks and springs with the VWR offering, and so far i'm happy with it. Compared to the OEM which was 14 years old and on 144k miles i'd say the VWR kit is more comfortable, yet the car seems to have less body roll. It's lowered the car by 20mm rear and 25mm at the front which hasn't provided any ground clearance issues so far.

I've also replaced the top mounts for the Audi S1/S3 versions, and replaced the front bushes with the Superpro ALK kit.

At £540 i think the VWR kit is good value for money, compared to VW quoting £1250 to replace them for OEM. For all the above supplied and fitted by Indigo GT including a hunter 4 wheel alignment i paid £1500.

Offline bazmk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Reviews of flo flex are not too good. Have a look at the powerflex.
[/quote]

Ive found them good, I used some of the front end bushes in my mk1 gti a few yrs back and found them to have a good balance of comfort and handling. I'm not using the entire kit just whats on here, Ive a set of adjustable upper arms on the way and once they arrive I will be getting them all on the sub-frame.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 12:06:22 am by bazmk5 »