Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf MK5 GTI - Suspension refresh - happy medium for comfort/handling  (Read 6514 times)

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Hi guys,

Looking to freshen up the suspension on the Mk5 GTI i've just picked up. It's got 110k on it and although doesn't handle badly, could do with tightening up.

Don't want to spend the earth and don't need track capability as it will likely never see a track day during my ownership.

Looking for a happy medium in terms of handling and comfort as predominantly this car will be a daily driver for my mrs.

Looking for a matched fixed damper and spring setup, seen options from VWR, Bilstein (B12 Pro) and ST amongst others. In terms of the result i'm after what would be best?

I've also seen a set on ebay saying its eibach springs and bilstein b4 dampers for £300 with new bump stops and what not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Lowering-Springs-Bilstein-Shocks-Kit-VW-Golf-Mk5-2-0-GTI-TFSi/331842661330?hash=item4d435d2bd2:g:7j0AAOSwdnZaEusd  .... £300 all in, I guess the B4 dampers are just OE replacement?

Also I am going to go for the Superpro ALK, and a dogbone insert although not sure which one.. again probably Superpro unless someone can convince me there is a superior alternative?

Any other key areas while i'm at it that aren't going to break the bank?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Golf MK5 GTI - Suspension refresh - happy medium for comfort/handling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 12:07:55 pm »
Handling = B12 kit
Comfort = VWR
B4 = twin tube OEM equivalent

You can't have both unless you triple or quadruple the budget.

SuperPro ALK is fine and available in OEM geometry as an insert, or +1 degree caster as a complete console.  Most folk opt for the latter.

Vibratechnics is the superior dogbone in terms of NVH.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:14 pm »
I looked at vibratechnics stuff but got confused in terms of exactly what would need to be fitted.

Read your previous posts on the VWR kit that's why thats in the running.

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:59 pm »
Handling = B12 kit
Comfort = VWR
B4 = twin tube OEM equivalent

You can't have both unless you triple or quadruple the budget.

SuperPro ALK is fine and available in OEM geometry as an insert, or +1 degree caster as a complete console.  Most folk opt for the latter.

Vibratechnics is the superior dogbone in terms of NVH.

Would you recommend a better alternative to the superpro ALK or just not overly keen on the ALK full stop?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:55:30 pm »
https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/golf_mkv_vi_vento_jetta_mk5/463/VAG520M/bottom_engine_mount_subframe_mount_20r32

No the SALK is very good.  There are alternatives such as the W(hiteline)ALK, powerflex, OEM S3 insert etc etc but personally I would only use the SALK or OEM S3.  I've used the WALK in the past and the bushes didn't last long. 

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:52:33 pm »
I have eibach springs and B4 dampers. Changed about a year ago.  Also replaced top mounts, ball joints, console bushes, and more recently rear ARB links.

It sits low, causes some problems with a few speed humps (mainly in car parks) bit ride is not so firm it jiggles you about too much.  Mines a daily / family car so went for a comfortable set up.

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/vw/golf_mkv_vi_vento_jetta_mk5/463/VAG520M/bottom_engine_mount_subframe_mount_20r32

No the SALK is very good.  There are alternatives such as the W(hiteline)ALK, powerflex, OEM S3 insert etc etc but personally I would only use the SALK or OEM S3.  I've used the WALK in the past and the bushes didn't last long.

Cheers, yeah I'd read about the white line ones not lasting long ..definitely going superior

I get some vibration currently while driving that almost feels like tyre roar but I'm wondering if it's perhaps already got a dog bone insert of some sorts

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 08:06:38 pm »
I have eibach springs and B4 dampers. Changed about a year ago.  Also replaced top mounts, ball joints, console bushes, and more recently rear ARB links.

It sits low, causes some problems with a few speed humps (mainly in car parks) bit ride is not so firm it jiggles you about too much.  Mines a daily / family car so went for a comfortable set up.

I guess that's Duncan storyline springs??

Did you just go oem for the ball joints etc??

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:02:52 pm »

Yes Duncan Storyline springs :laugh: and OEM for the rest.

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 07:36:08 am »

Yes Duncan Storyline springs :laugh: and OEM for the rest.

Stupid fire HD tablet refuses to accept my inputs! I'm sure you gathered Duncan Storyline is infact amazon code for Eibach Sportline.. I wonder how some new B4 dampers would fair with some eibach pro springs

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:19 pm »
Duncan Storyline  :grin:  For a minute I thought that was another weird ECP brand like 'Meat & Doria'  :grin:

Sportsline = pretty firm and low
Pro line = softer and not so low

B4 with Pro springs might be good, but bear in mine the Pro springs are only available for Diesels and n'asp petrol, so the spring rates will be pretty soft for a GTI.  I have a suspicion the Pro springs are purely to get the basic models up to OEM GTI equivalence.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=l62hg8hbcmja69s1t0f4n8g3s1&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Replace all the bushes with brand new OEM ones would be my first port of call.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:46 pm »
Yup, especially at the arse end.  The main source of clunks and knocks on ageing MK5s.

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 09:20:01 pm »
I just replaced my suspension all round with boge stock struts and shocks, also did top mounts (ball joints etc ok) and put on a set of eibach pro springs. Its lowered about 25mm and gives a firmish ride but sensible. High enough not to catch the front (its got a GTI setup) or any speed bumps so far so a good compromise...

No more banging or clonking from my broken (x3) old front springs!
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline mcblfc88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 07:31:44 pm »
After having the car serviced and inspected at a very highly regarded local VW Indy, it’s been confirmed the suspension setup is currently seemingly standard and in general in good condition.

After a lengthy chat with the owner who is a big enthusiast and multiple Mk5 Gti owner, I’ve settled on the super pro ALK with fresh oem ball joints and drop links, he was confident that would leave the car driving very well with the option to then add a roll bar upgrade kit and/or a damper/spring set.

I am going with his advice and the parts are being fitted in a few weeks, will report back the results.

Also off topic, pre-cat delete also being carried out at same time, he said that’s one of the best value mods on the Mk5 so I’m getting that done too.

Just the service along with the gearbox oil change has made the car a lot better to drive though so heading in the right direction