Make a donation

Author Topic: Third Brake Light / High Level Brake - 04 GTI MkV - Find and Replace  (Read 1726 times)

burnout88

Hi all I'm new here so apologies for just posting a question straight away but could really do with some advice.

My MkV GTI's Third brake light has gone out. No warning light up on dash but it's not working.
I've been reading up on various places about how to change it and it looks like a bit of a hack job but manageable all the same...

So first of all, where the heck do you buy one from and secondly does anyone have an tips on how to fit the damn thing?

Thanks in advance

Kris

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h3m8etrrjjhs8spvdr61da35r2&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Third Brake Light / High Level Brake - 04 GTI MkV - Find and Replace
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 04:29:21 pm »
There are guides on the internet if you search. It’s a little bit brutal but possible to do without damaging the spoiler.

Parts available on eBay or from VW

burnout88

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 06:37:58 pm »
There are guides on the internet if you search. It’s a little bit brutal but possible to do without damaging the spoiler.

Parts available on eBay or from VW

Thanks for replying bud.
There's a few different varients on eBay and I'm really not sure which one I should be getting? Not worried about it being the best out there or anything custom, just a straight like for like is fine. Maybe someone has a link they could share with me

Cheers

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h3m8etrrjjhs8spvdr61da35r2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:32:25 pm »
Get the part from VW and that will eliminate any guess work.

Offline hashimanwar99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: golf mk5 1.6 FSI
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
My third brake light doesn't work either and like you did, I looked on youtube to see on how to replace it. I thought it was a bit brutal too so I had a look at mine and I managed to pry it off with a flat plastic tool. I didnt even break the original light.