Make a donation

Author Topic: how to get more BHP from my MK5 gti?  (Read 5506 times)

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
how to get more BHP from my MK5 gti?
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:10:43 pm »
hey everyone!

I'm after some advice about my mk5 golf GTI, I'm currently running at around 300 bhp with R tech stage 2 remap, HPFP, Milltek 3 inch de cat downpipe, 3 inch APR cat back system, Revo intake and DV+ (also from R tech).

I bought the car with these already having been done and I now want to make my own stamp on it. Without spending £££££'s on KO4 upgrade are there any suggestions out there on how i can squeeeze a few extra BHP out of it?

I'm yet to check if the Turbo Outlet pipe, throttle body pipe etc have been done, if not im going to start there in the hope of a handfull of extra BHP. Other than that i was also thinking about S3 intercooler, not sure this will neccasarily add any extra power but again open to suggestions?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: how to get more BHP from my MK5 gti?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »
You’re pretty much max’d out for a k03 but are likely running closer to 280bhp than 300.  Will need to go to a hybrid k03 or k04 for more top end power, together with s3 cooler and injectors / bigger fprv.

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 02:06:31 pm »
I thought as much, thanks for your reply.

I've checked the throttle body pipe and Turbo outlet pipe and there still the restrictive standard parts, I'm gunna look to replace them with the bigger diameter ones, be lucky to get any extra BHP from these but I want to get my hands dirty and getting rid of the small, restrictive pipes can only be a positive.

I haven't done much in the way of research into turbo upgrades but am I right in thinking the Ko3 hybrid is cheaper and easier to fit?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:51:11 am »
chances are you you've probs already got an S3 intercooler? I cant see R-Tech mapping that kind of power without an upgraded cooler. if not though, I would defo start there.

as Colesey said.. you're maxed out on the K03 so a bigger turbo would be needed.. I don't know fitment difference of the K03 hybrid vs K04 but a K04 is an easy fitment anyway, just need the boost pipes etc to match which I'm not sure if the hybrid would need?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:29:32 am »
K03 hybrid is usually a k03 with k04 internals, hence direct replacement with DV in the same place.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:09:41 am »
thanks @colesey I didn't know that... learn something new everyday  :happy2:

so as for fitment then.. the Hybrid would be easier I guess. but basically the same kind of work needed to replace the whole unit no matter which unit you bolt on.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 02:43:42 pm »
thanks @colesey I didn't know that... learn something new everyday  :happy2:

so as for fitment then.. the Hybrid would be easier I guess. but basically the same kind of work needed to replace the whole unit no matter which unit you bolt on.

yeah its literally a turbo swap

Offline colesey

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »
I thought as much, thanks for your reply.

I've checked the throttle body pipe and Turbo outlet pipe and there still the restrictive standard parts, I'm gunna look to replace them with the bigger diameter ones, be lucky to get any extra BHP from these but I want to get my hands dirty and getting rid of the small, restrictive pipes can only be a positive.

I haven't done much in the way of research into turbo upgrades but am I right in thinking the Ko3 hybrid is cheaper and easier to fit?

I think the gains come more from the turbo outlet pipe where the stock one is ‘squashed / pancake’ than the throttle pipe. Not sure if it will gain much at peak however is supposed to spool up quicker. I’ll be having a chat about this with Tuningwerkes tomorrow.

For the hybrid, the main options are Turbo Technics / BBT / TTE, in ascending order of price.

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 02:46:31 pm »
Cheers guys!! More research needed on where I’m going to go with my turbo!

In the mean time I’m going to concentrate on sorting handling and stopping (mk7 front break upgrade, bushes and anti lift kit) then look at more power!