Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo Replacement  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Submotion

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Turbo Replacement
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:34 pm »
Hi all, I am about to buy a mk5 gti off a friend for a cheap price, car has done 149,000 miles, drives lovely but he has been advised to replace the turbo. I'll be looking into getting a second hand one to replace it, was just curious whether it would be the case of taking the old one off and putting the new one on, or will I need to take it to a garage.

Thanks in advance, Joe

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Turbo Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:22:34 pm »
A turbo change isn’t as hard as it may seem/sound. If you’re mechanically minded and DIY handy with a fairly good variety of tools you should be fine.
I done a k03 - k04 swap last year and all went fairly smooth apart from one of the studs coming out the block!
Just make sure you got allll the gaskets etc. I think you can actually buy a turbo change kit from AKS and maybe awesome. Grab a set of new studs too, wouldn’t be a bad shout to put new ones in. (Stud removal socket will come in handy for that)
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:28:05 am »
If it drives lovele, why replace it?   Why did your friend say it needs doing?

For something as important as the turbo, I seriously would advise against a second hand one off ebay.   It might be worse than the one you take off.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Submotion

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 07:18:12 pm »
I have been thinking the same thing, think I am just going to leave it for now and see what happens.