Make a donation

Author Topic: 2.0 TDI 4motion intermittent power issue  (Read 2299 times)

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
2.0 TDI 4motion intermittent power issue
« on: April 24, 2019, 12:27:39 pm »
Hi all, Im hoping someone may have some advice on an intermittent power issue im having. When I accelerate up through the gears I often get power coming through but not smoothly. Then I get up to speed say 70mph in 6th and the power is not coming through at a constant rate - it seems to stutter slightly as if holding back - it can do this on and off over a few seconds and then calm down - I think mainly during the warmup period, first 15 mins of driving.

The car is new to me so still getting used to it. Its on 108k and could do with a cambelt change, its only done about 10k since last one but 4 years old. Its also had a remap before I bought it and has an old K&N cone filter on. Not sure what other engine mods its had. The issue doesnt seem excessive but worrying, no dash lights etc.

I need to get it on a code reader but Im wondering if it sounds like a turbo issue, crank sensor or maybe fuel pump?

Any advice appreciated! Enjoying the car apart from this and lots of small jobs already done...
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: 2.0 TDI 4motion intermittent power issue
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:00:34 am »
Hi, try disconnecting the battery for half an hour to an hour to reboot the ECU. sometimes they need a reboot just like a PC / Phone.

if no change, get it plugged in and scanned for any underlying faults.

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 12:59:13 pm »
Hi, try disconnecting the battery for half an hour to an hour to reboot the ECU. sometimes they need a reboot just like a PC / Phone.

Thx for the tip - I did disconnect when I swapped out steering wheel but prob for less time than that. I remember leaving my boxster disconnected overnight once and it messed up the ecu completely - barely had enough power to get up driveway and ended up with £1000 bill for new MAF etc! Im guessing the golf is less sophisticated so its fine to do this...  :happy2:
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:24:31 pm »

Thx for the tip - I did disconnect when I swapped out steering wheel but prob for less time than that. I remember leaving my boxster disconnected overnight once and it messed up the ecu completely - barely had enough power to get up driveway and ended up with £1000 bill for new MAF etc! Im guessing the golf is less sophisticated so its fine to do this...  :happy2:
I have had mine and many, many other vw’s disconnected, you’re more than safe to leave disconnected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »
hummmm - did the steering wheel control module update today and left disconnected for over an hour - still the same prob. I need VCDS on it as prob need to programme the new steering wheel and control module (CH model) and also switch on the cruise control now the stalk is fitted...

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:27:15 am »
yes, very strange mate. get it scanned with VCDS and see what shows up. sort the programming too and rule out any known stuff :)

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 07:02:45 pm »
yeah good idea muff1991 - that will tell me loads...