Make a donation

Author Topic: Would like to upgrade my stereo in my Golf MK5 2007 FSI but need a helping hand  (Read 3127 times)

diego-d

Evening all,

I picked up a VW Golf 2007 1.6L FSI last weekend, except I know almost nothing about cars, so it has literally taken me 3 days to just get to the stage to articulate the below questions if you could please bear with me:

The stereo is original stock and basically rubbish, with a Parrot connected. I want to replace it with a RCD330 Plus, as I'll use it for viewing CarPlay Maps on its large screen and streaming Spotify through the AUX connection. Don't need actual SatNav navigation hence am avoiding the RNS315 or RNS510 as they are significantly more expensive.

* As an early April 2007 MK5, I'll need a new Can Bus Gateway to prevent battery drain. Is anyone reading this happy to sell me a new pre-coded Can Bus Gateway which will be compatible with my old car and the new stereo headunit (I guess this would mean the 7n0 version), could you please let me know? I am hoping to just do a simple swap over, from the old one to the new one.

* If for any reason I'm not able to physically fit the new Can Bus Gateway, is there anyone you can recommend in the South London area who can fit it and charges reasonable fees? Basically, I am confident in changing stereos, but changing a Can Bus is a whole new thing to me. I was on my back for about an hour almost completely upside down trying to find the damned thing through the dash, and being 6 ft 3 doesn't help, at one point feeling sick from all the blood rushing to my head over extended time. So at this stage I was more hoping to get my hands on the 'correct' Can Bus and figure it out how to fit it later, or alternatively pay someone to get it fitted.

I don't have the RCD330 Plus yet but will be getting the Version B 6RD 035 187 B.

Many thanks in advance!

Offline Limitless

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi I have a canbus that I bought for my car but it seems to be working fine at the moment without the need for it so happy to sell if 6our looking. It isn't programmed so you'll need to find someone to do it for you.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
You don’t need the canbus to prevent battery drain. There is a device you can plug in when installing your stereo when you get it that takes care of that. It also allows use of the buttons on your steering wheel if you have them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BODENLA-RCD330-MIB-RCD510-Multifunction-Steering-Wheel-Button-Control-Simulator-Adapter-For-VW-Golf-5-6/32847626802.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:55:47 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline Enzoxs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
@The Red Warrior does this adaptor not cause the track skip buttons to act up when using the MFD?

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
Not that I’ve heard of but I can’t say for sure. I don’t actually have the can emulator that I linked to. I’ve got the mk6 MFSW and a CH version steering wheel controller so it doesn’t need anything else to work.

Offline J66hhr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
Or get an aftermarket one with an android system just like a tablet.. should be a straight fit if it matches your model

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk