Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Bumper and Exhaust help...  (Read 8555 times)

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Rear Bumper and Exhaust help...
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:47:42 pm »
Hi I'm new to these forums and to Mk5 Gti's. Recently bought an 05 GTi.

I'm trying to figure out what exhaust I can get to fit the rear bumper as it's not an original rear bumper, I'm going to be going full stainless but the back box is completely different from the original.

I've attached pictures of the rear bumper as I haven't been able to figure out what it is and haven't seen a single exhaust that looks like it would fit.

If I have to I'll change it back to stock to make life easier, but thought I'd see if anyone knows what would fit or what this bumper actually is.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Rear Bumper and Exhaust help...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:28:21 pm »
That's a Charactere rear valance. French after market body kit manufacturers I think. God knows what rear silencer will fit it though, you'd probably have to get one custom made.

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 08:33:50 pm »
That's a Charactere rear valance. French after market body kit manufacturers I think. God knows what rear silencer will fit it though, you'd probably have to get one custom made.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what the logo actually said.

I'm thinking custom made might just be the best way to go anyway as not sure if I can be bothered with the hassle of getting another bumper and having it colour matched.

Trying a few places to get a rough estimate for the exhaust, it's got what must be a pretty big blow in the downpipe and it sounds horrendous atm!

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:09:13 am »

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:32:07 pm »
First post from me!!! :grin:
I changed mine to a MK5 R32 lower bumper, and fitted a Maxton Rear Back Box. IMO looks the nuts :pomppomp:

Lower Bumper painted in any colour - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volkswagen-Golf-MK5-2004-2008-R32-Style-Lower-Rear-Bumper-Painted-Any-Colour/142614304329?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Maxton Back Box - https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/exhaust-ends/exhaust-muffler-golf-scirocco?search=EXHAUST

Nice, I have had a bit more of a look around the exhaust system since fitting my RamAir induction kit and doing a few bits of tidying up to the interior and it seems that the backbox is a genuine Caractere backbox, which according to Caractere is completely stainless and it looks like it from the underside.

Downpipe and mid section look like garbage though so best guess at this stage is that they are still stock.

The car is just sooooo noisy  :ashamed: :ashamed: especially when you let off the throttle at almost any speed and its burbling and popping like mad, so I'm guessing there a big split or hole somewhere near the front.

Makes it sound proper chavvy and I hate it. Wondering if its easy enough to switch the downpipe and mid section myself with the car on axle stands?

I've done a few exhausts on previous cars but it looks like there is very little access room to get to the bolts on the downpipe.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 12:07:36 pm »
@GTi-Nugget I don't think there's many jobs you couldn't do on axle stands if you ask me.. certainly not many I wouldn't attempt anyway! it all comes down to being able to put up with the hassle and extra time or awkwardness that some jobs entail. But in answer to your question about the exhaust.. yes you can replace the exhaust on axle stands :)