Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo issue  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Mitch44414

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Turbo issue
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »
Hi

I have recently brought a golf gti and after a week or so developed a rattle when i let off throttle, I put it up on ramps to have a look at the turbo and the actuator had been welded (badly) and has a fair amount of movement.

Is the actuator something that can be replace or would the whole turbo have to be replaced ?

There are no obvious  signs that the turbo is gone such as smoke or noise when on boost

Tia
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:22:39 pm by Mitch44414 »

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: Turbo issue
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:48:24 am »
Hi

I have recently brought a golf gti and after a week or so developed a rattle when i let off throttle, I put it up on ramps to have a look at the turbo and the actuator had been welded (badly) and has a fair amount of movement.

Is the actuator something that can be replace or would the whole turbo have to be replaced ?

There are no obvious  signs that the turbo is gone such as smoke or noise when on boost

Tia
Hi mate, yes you can replace the actuator without replacing the turbo.. Forge do one. However.. the turbo has to come off to replace it as its so damn hard to get to it! Maybe some people have found a way without taking turbo off though i don't know.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Turbo issue
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:55:41 pm »
The rattling could be coming from the penny valve not seating properly, which if caused by a worn shaft, a new actuator won't solve that.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D