Make a donation

Author Topic: slight tapping noise from engine on idle  (Read 8599 times)

Offline Bad-vw-boy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
  • Golfs you gotta luv em!!
slight tapping noise from engine on idle
« on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:12 am »
just bought a 2007 mk5 gti 2.0 dsg and on start up and idle there is a light tapping noise, is this normal?....if not any ideas what it could be.
Mk5 Golf GTI DSG

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Re: slight tapping noise from engine on idle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 10:47:03 am »
The mk5 gti engine is a bit renowned for ticking/tapping/diesel noises. The injectors are very tickey and this is totally normal but can mask other sounds.

The main concern is a "diesel" type noise at warm idle, often not present when cold. This can be the small timing chain & tensioner on the right hand end of the camshafts (looking from the front of the car) wearing. I had this and solved it a couple of years ago.

More recently I've been chasing a bit of a tappy rattle at warm idle again and had the car looked at by an indy, RTech and AKS in the last 6 months. The first 2 couldn't pinpoint but said it didn't sound like anything to worry about (its very quiet but hard to un-hear once youve caught it). AKS also said nothing to worry about but it could be cambelt/water pump related, so I'm having these done as they are due in less than a year anyway (cam belt was done 3 and a bit years ago, but don't think waterpump was done at the same time).

Other suspects could be oil pump/balance shafts at the bottom of the engine, evap purge valve near the charcoal canister or the fuel pump cam follower, again top right near the timing chain cover. I think a faulty N75 boost pressure control valve can make a racket too.

Impossible to diagnose by text. Try probing around the engine bay with a stethoscope to see if you can narrow the area of origin down, or get to someone who really knows these engines (i.e. an RTech or AKS, not just a general garage) to take a look!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:36:09 am »
In some it's the norm that we owners just live with it but can be annoying... is it tapping when it's cold? Does it increase when you hit the accelerator or is it more Noticeable inside the car?
Worst case like mine was cam chain had stretched so replaced
as well as the  tensioner & N205 valve all sounding quiet now... Get a scan done with VCDS and see what if any faults show up and go from there

Offline Bad-vw-boy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:05:15 pm »
tapping noise seems to be more pronounced when warm, any ideas?
Mk5 Golf GTI DSG

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 01:58:32 pm »
If the tapping noise is more noticeable when warm.. then as mentioned above it’s probably down to the timing chain and tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bad-vw-boy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 10:16:41 am »
I thought my car was a timing belt not chain as 2007 tfsi engine?
Mk5 Golf GTI DSG

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:34 am »
Hi mate, these TFSI engines have a cambelt one side connecting the crankshaft to the exhaust camshaft. On the opposite side of the engine inside a small housing you have a cam chain connecting both inlet and exhaust camshafts together. The chain over time can stretch and/or the tensioner for the chain fails or doesn’t tension the chain enough causing tappety type chain noises. Which said noise is more noticeable once engine is warmed up or in general sounds very diesel like.

Offline Bad-vw-boy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 07:55:34 pm »
is this a simple fix as I have had the belts changed but not sure about the other bits
Mk5 Golf GTI DSG

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »
is this a simple fix as I have had the belts changed but not sure about the other bits
Hi mate, check out Rich93’s guide on the how to section. Then judge for yourself against your mechanical know how. Its not too difficult once you get going. (Like everything I guess)