Make a donation

Author Topic: Sach clutch fitted but....  (Read 39316 times)

Offline steve D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Sach clutch fitted but....
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:03 pm »
never had a prob with my Sachs clutch changing gears at over 6k rpm!  :smiley:

Did you have a SMF fitted aswell and what year is your car please?

nope kept the OEM flywheel in there as it was fine. 06 GTI so it probably had the poo LURPAK clutch in there (slipped a goodun shortly after Revo S1)

Ok cheers  :smiley:
Back to standard!!!!

Offline steve D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 11:22:43 pm »
never had a prob with my Sachs clutch changing gears at over 6k rpm!  :smiley:

Did you have a SMF fitted aswell and what year is your car please?

Steve I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if you PM'd Toby (on ASN, VAGOC) and have a word with him. You can compare problems and see if he can help/give advice on what to do next. As it needs to be right, especially with the money it cost..

Yeah Ben think that will be a good idea,deffo some digging to be done and like you say its not a cheap kit so i need it working as it should be.
Back to standard!!!!

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:50:49 pm »
Unfortunately I found myself in the same situation with my SMF clutch from Sachs. I previously used OEM DMF + Sachs performance pressure plate and disc and everything was perfect. After installing the SMF clutch and properly burning it in for about 1000km, I couldn't change gears fast under WOT although the clutch seemd perfectly normal under normal driving. I wasn't insipired as to measure the total thickness of the clutch assemly compared to the OEm one but will do that when my Sachs SMF clutch return from expertise. In the meantime I've put back my previous Sachs performance PP and disc with a new OEm flywheel. These hold torque just fine but the OEM flywheel won't stand the torque for long (previous one lasted for 10k km only) !

PS : I've tried the SMF clutch with the disc reversed also and it did the same ! Damn, I can't even remember how many times I've switched clutches in this car :D !
Mk5 GTI 6MT - Revo stage 3

Offline DubED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 10:40:41 pm »
Unfortunately I found myself in the same situation with my SMF clutch from Sachs. I previously used OEM DMF + Sachs performance pressure plate and disc and everything was perfect. After installing the SMF clutch and properly burning it in for about 1000km, I couldn't change gears fast under WOT although the clutch seemd perfectly normal under normal driving. I wasn't insipired as to measure the total thickness of the clutch assemly compared to the OEm one but will do that when my Sachs SMF clutch return from expertise. In the meantime I've put back my previous Sachs performance PP and disc with a new OEm flywheel. These hold torque just fine but the OEM flywheel won't stand the torque for long (previous one lasted for 10k km only) !

PS : I've tried the SMF clutch with the disc reversed also and it did the same ! Damn, I can't even remember how many times I've switched clutches in this car :D !

What stage are you running to muller the OEM flywheel? Have Sachs taken your SMF and clutch to inspect it? A little confused by your post :ashamed:

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 11:35:36 pm »
Stage 3 with about 375HP/465NM. I have 2 clutch setups :

1) DMF (OEM) + Sachs performance pressure plate and disc
2) SMF clutch from Sachs racing

I had 1) in my car until about 6 months ago and replaced it with 2) because the oem DMF got destroyed in 10.000km (the Sachs pressure plate and disc were in perfect condition though). 2) holds torque perfectly, engagement is very precise and engine brake is a wonder compared to 1) but unfortunately it won't let me change gears fast so I removed 2) after only 2000km and sent it to Sachs for expertise. In the meantime I put back in numebr 1) with a new OEM flywheel . Hope I've made myself clear this time :)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 04:48:49 am »
Stage 3 with about 375HP/465NM. I have 2 clutch setups :

1) DMF (OEM) + Sachs performance pressure plate and disc
2) SMF clutch from Sachs racing

I had 1) in my car until about 6 months ago and replaced it with 2) because the oem DMF got destroyed in 10.000km (the Sachs pressure plate and disc were in perfect condition though). 2) holds torque perfectly, engagement is very precise and engine brake is a wonder compared to 1) but unfortunately it won't let me change gears fast so I removed 2) after only 2000km and sent it to Sachs for expertise. In the meantime I put back in numebr 1) with a new OEM flywheel . Hope I've made myself clear this time :)

Hi Fuscobal,

Could you please inform me as to the results with Sachs and their SMF??
I'm in the middle of ordering their 5002 clutch and pressure plate and planned on ordering the SMF too.
Do you have the spare part number for the SMF??  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

anorganix

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:08 am »
Could you please inform me as to the results with Sachs and their SMF??
He is still waiting for a response from Sachs, so unfortunately there's no info yet.

Offline steve D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »
Well just rang the sachs help line and been told the SMF is the problem and he said you should stick with the DMF... but then went on to say that if you car is running more power than standard expect to be replacing the DMF quite often  :confused:

Back to standard!!!!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Well just rang the sachs help line and been told the SMF is the problem and he said you should stick with the DMF... but then went on to say that if you car is running more power than standard expect to be replacing the DMF quite often  :confused:

:stupid: that's not quite helping is it??  :confused:
aren't they going to solve the problem they have with the smf??  :sad1:

Offline steve D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 01:07:53 pm »

:stupid: that's not quite helping is it??  :confused:
aren't they going to solve the problem they have with the smf??  :sad1:

I know, bloody great news!!

From what he was saying the car comes with a DMF and thats what should be fitted and if you change to a SMF then expect to have problems!

I ask why they sell the SMF then and he said sachs dont make the SMF for cars with a DMF so it must be from another type of car that come with a SMF!

I'm very confused with the whole matter  :confused:

If anyone else can shed some light on this it would be good!

Plus is there anyone who has fitted the SMF without any problems?
Back to standard!!!!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 01:17:16 pm »
This is getting beyond a f**king joke..  :fighting: So they supply and sell a uprated clutch and SMF kit for a ED30/S3 for god knows how much money, knowing full well it will cause problems????  :stupid: :confused:
There are only 2 ED30/S3's that I know of with their clutch and SMF kit fitted and BOTH are having problems.. Also (for all the modded manual guys out there) is there no other alternative for your cars other than going through a new DMF every 10k? Because that would put me right off getting one..  :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »
That sounds horrendous mate. Hope you get it sorted.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:17 pm »
i must admit it kind of puts me off the sachs  :sad1:

maybe these:

http://www.goapr.com/products/dxdclutch.php?id=20tfsitrans

Offline fuscobal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »
That answer is is really weird. There is an .pdf application list where the SMF clutch I've ordered appears as specifically designed for our cars. Anyone can check by the code. Unfortunately, on my .pdf, thhis clutch only comes as a kit with SMF+PP+disc so the SMF doesn't have it's own code. So here we go guys > http://www.sachsracing.com/owx_medien/media634/63407.pdf

Check out pages 219-221. On page 219 there are 2 kits for :

2.0 GTI, 147 kW
2.0 TDI, 100 kW
2.0 TDI 16V
2.0 TDI 16V 4motion
2.0 TDI, 103 kW
2.0 TDI 4motion

...with engine codes > AXX, AZV, BKD, BMM, BPY, BWA

1) 883089 000034 > Manual Transmission, 6-speed
for vehicles with single disc clutch
With screws
max. transmittable engine torque [Nm]:530
ONLY FOR MOTORSPORT!
Contains rigid flywheel, clutch cover assembly and
clutch disc
torsion damper plate with organic facings
not pre-assembled

2) 883089 000035 > Manual Transmission, 6-speed
With screws
max. transmittable engine torque [Nm]:600
ONLY FOR MOTORSPORT!
clutch disc
torsion damper sintered plate
not pre-assembled

If you follow this link you find out a third option but for CAWB, CCTA (these are probably newer TSi engines) >

3) 883089 000046 > http://www.sachsperformance.com/EU/sachs-race-performance-clutch/vw/vw-golf-v-1k1-1003/20-gti-147-kw-102004/index.htm

My engine code is AXX and I have 1) 883089 000034 wich according to their own application list is correct !!!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:29:13 pm by fuscobal »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 04:53:53 pm »
That answer is is really weird. There is an .pdf application list where the SMF clutch I've ordered appears as specifically designed for our cars. Anyone can check by the code. Unfortunately, on my .pdf, thhis clutch only comes as a kit with SMF+PP+disc so the SMF doesn't have it's own code. So here we go guys > http://www.sachsracing.com/owx_medien/media634/63407.pdf

Check out pages 219-221. On page 219 there are 2 kits for :

2.0 GTI, 147 kW
2.0 TDI, 100 kW
2.0 TDI 16V
2.0 TDI 16V 4motion
2.0 TDI, 103 kW
2.0 TDI 4motion

...with engine codes > AXX, AZV, BKD, BMM, BPY, BWA

1) 883089 000034 > Manual Transmission, 6-speed
With screws
max. transmittable engine torque [Nm]:530
ONLY FOR MOTORSPORT!
clutch disc
torsion damper plate with organic facings
not pre-assembled

2) 883089 000035 > Manual Transmission, 6-speed
With screws
max. transmittable engine torque [Nm]:600
ONLY FOR MOTORSPORT!
clutch disc
torsion damper sintered plate
not pre-assembled

If you follow this link you find out a third option but for CAWB, CCTA (these are probably newer TSi engines) >

3) 883089 000046 > http://www.sachsperformance.com/EU/sachs-race-performance-clutch/vw/vw-golf-v-1k1-1003/20-gti-147-kw-102004/index.htm

My engine code is AXX and I have 1) 883089 000034 wich according to their own application list is correct !!!

i have found the same info, but to what use if sachs themselves don't trust their own product???  :sad1: