Make a donation

Author Topic: Squeaky Drivers Window  (Read 4053 times)

Offline zenicman9

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Squeaky Drivers Window
« on: June 28, 2019, 07:13:29 am »
Hey Guys,
Wondering if someone might be able to help, I have a 59 plate GTD and the drivers side window has become the most annoying squeaky thing going. It squeaks on the way down and up. I’ve tried spraying it with lubricant spray but it didn’t help at all (I sprayed the seals) 
Is this a common issue and any ideas how I might fix it?

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Squeaky Drivers Window
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 04:02:58 pm »
To do a proper job on the windows you need to take the outer door skin off if its squeaking to look at the mechanism. Both the thin steel cable and steel runners that are part of the raising and lowering function will need to be checked. It can be related to rust on either of these. Otherwise it can be the rubber seals as you suggested in the upper door frame that need the tinniest of WD40 or some appropriate lubricant.  I find mine occasionally squeak in very hot weather. But to be sure you need to look inside the door. Not the quickest of jobs though.

https://images.app.goo.gl/puDKoRpe2ngE557d8
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:50:07 pm »
Try filling the door seal channels with silicon paste/grease with a small paint brush.  Ultimately what happens is the flocking wears off the seals and the glass rubs onto rubber, which causes binding and squeaking.  It got so bad on my MK5, the one touch down/up didn't work.  Cramming a f'ck ton of silicon paste into the seals fixed the problem immediately  :happy2:

Don't get silicon spray, get grease as it stays put longer.  Sprays just wash away the first time it rains.

If you have a sunroof, use it on that as well to prolong the life of the runners.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Kirito

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 09:49:48 am »
I don't think this is a common problem. I have for many years of using this car a similar problem did not arise. Where do you keep your car? In the garage or on the street? Perhaps the door got rainwater, which caused the creaking. As you have already written, the best way to fix this problem is to remove the door trim and complete inspection of the mechanism. If you have never done something like this before, then I advise you to contact a service center or a person who understands this. I hope you don't have to replace the entire mechanism, as it can cost a relatively large amount of money. My friend once tried to fix the window himself (at home, not in the car), it ended up that he bought a new window from eco windows, as his old one turned out to be broken after it was repaired...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 09:08:35 pm by Kirito »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:30:43 pm »
3 years later, I buy a MK6 and resort to my own advice  :grin:

It's not the mechanism, it's the upper glass support/weather strip. The flocking has worn off it, causing the glass to squeak on it.  Replacing the strip is the only fix.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D