Make a donation

Author Topic: Tfsi Chugging some smoke  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Ash_89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Tfsi Chugging some smoke
« on: July 02, 2019, 03:33:55 pm »
Since I’ve first got my car it’s always puffed a lot of grey/soot smoke out of the back when on wot .
So much so that a few friends have noticed it thinking my car was a diesel , I have replaced a few bits that usually point to the cause of smoke but they haven’t sorted the issue

The car also gets through a fair bit of oil aswell so I will be doing a compression test at the weekend
My question is has anyone had the same thing happen ? I know the tfsi does like to run richer and Chuck fuel in but my smoke isn’t the sort you can ignore .
Parts replaced
Front Pcv Rev r
Dv Rev g
Plugs
R8 coilpacks

Mods rtech stage 1
Miltek sports cat full system
Ram air oversized intake

Bwj engine 70k miles

Offline Saintsteve

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Tfsi Chugging some smoke
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »
Rtech set there cars up on the Rich side so it’s properly that your seeing along with some oil being burnt.
What grade of oil are you using ?

The saying goes “ no smoke, no poke “  :signLOL: :notworthy:
Tornado Red Edition30 DSG Build Number 114
Atlantic Blue Mk7.5 GTE Advance
Follow Saintsteve330 on Instagram

Offline Ash_89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 01:26:30 pm »
5w40 quantum
Yeah I did hear that mate , just it was doing it before hand with both cats on now I’m sports cat I think it’s made it a smidge Smokier haha
To be fair it doesn’t do it all the time it’s just when I’ve not booted it for a while .
I still need to get the compression tested for piece of mind then off to rtech for carbon clean and injector service :)

Offline Saintsteve

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 05:17:18 pm »
Mines uses oil but mine still has 5W 30 in it, which ideally for a mapped car I need to change it to 10W 40 which is slightly more thicker and doesn’t get forced out the inlet/PCV due to the higher crankcase pressures from being tuned.
Mine does the same, it’s just the build up of oil in the PCV that gets forced out of you haven’t floored it for a while, if you repeat the flooring of throttle , if should start to disappear, if it doesn’t then your looking at possible oil scraper rings and Compression rings on the pistons, which tends to be of an issue with lower mileage 2.0Tfsi that have stood around and not been given some throttle regular if you follow
 :happy2:
Tornado Red Edition30 DSG Build Number 114
Atlantic Blue Mk7.5 GTE Advance
Follow Saintsteve330 on Instagram

Offline Ash_89

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:42:35 pm »
Mines uses oil but mine still has 5W 30 in it, which ideally for a mapped car I need to change it to 10W 40 which is slightly more thicker and doesn’t get forced out the inlet/PCV due to the higher crankcase pressures from being tuned.
Mine does the same, it’s just the build up of oil in the PCV that gets forced out of you haven’t floored it for a while, if you repeat the flooring of throttle , if should start to disappear, if it doesn’t then your looking at possible oil scraper rings and Compression rings on the pistons, which tends to be of an issue with lower mileage 2.0Tfsi that have stood around and not been given some throttle regular if you follow
 :happy2:

I get what you mean man thanks for that :) , to be fair it does reduce drastically after a few pulls
I don’t think the cars had a bad life but it’s not been given the beans very often before me
The lady I brought it off owned it from brand new , she brought it for looks over performance I’m assuming .

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 04:34:41 pm »
Welcoem to TFSI Life

All turbocharged cars run rich on boost, and all TFSI guzzle oil when driven hard. Black/grey haze on boost is normal on a tuned car, especially after pootling about
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:00:53 pm »
Yep, they run rich as fook in boost when mapped.  Stock progressively drops from 14.7 AFR > 14 > 13.8 > 12.8 in boost.   Remaps just drop the anvil down from 14.7 > 12-11.5 immediately for arse covering richness.  Thankfully petrol engines make the same power over a wide range of AFRs, but it's just wasting fuel if you see tons of smoke out the back.  VW designed the engine to run relatively lean in boost. It's just sh*t mapping.

Where you will notice it the most is holding the rpm in 4th or 5th around 3500rpm waiting for a rapid over take, floor it, and you're rolling coal out the back.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D