Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition30 Buying Advie - I'm new! Help wanted  (Read 9376 times)

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Edition30 Buying Advie - I'm new! Help wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 10:58:41 pm »
If anybody could let me know how to find out the edition number that would be great; nothing I have seen with the car tells me.

Thanks
A

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 08:47:49 am »
If anybody could let me know how to find out the edition number that would be great; nothing I have seen with the car tells me.

Thanks
A

You need to contact VW directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 10:38:52 am »
I contacted VW Customer services and they very helpful.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 11:02:15 am »
Thanks.... I will follow that up. Just hoping that per my previous post that I did not make poor judgement regarding the engine.... any thing is fixable right??!!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:02 am »
Anything is fixable.. cost is the killer.
I brought my second GTI at just under 140k and I can't say it doesn't drive any worse in the slightest to my first mk5 GTI at 49k. I did also replace the cam follower, cam chain & tensioner.. timing belt, water pump etc. :)
Unfortunately, these engines do have a tappety type sound anyway from the injectors. but if its over exaggerated and very diesel sounding then your cam chain and tensioner will need doing. by the sounds of it, you're in the same position as me - had budget left over! so it makes sense to get it all sorted now with the spare cash  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Edition30 Buying Advice - I'm new! **UPDATE**
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 05:09:35 pm »
Hi All, thought I'd post an update to share.

I am now in the procession of a 2007 5-door Edition 30 with 130k on the clock.

OMG what a difference to my MK5!!??.... did know GTI's could accelerate so hard!!

To collect the car mean't a 10 hour round trip, so worth it. Picked it up for sub £5k. The condition through-out is very good, 10 stamps in log book with DSG service last year. Wheels un-curbed with what appears to be original lacquer.

Got the impression it has sat on motorways a lot of its life.

The bad bit is that it has the infamous tapping sound from the engine, this is a calculated risk; since I paid under the budget I have it in for a service for CAM belt, tensioner, water pump and chain adjuster/ tensioner?!! + get the CAM foller replaced. WIll keep you posted, I can imagine im going to become a bit of an avid reader of these forums haha.

Good stuff.  Yeah they do pull well and the fact you were impressed shouldn't ring any significant alarm bells engine wise.  My Ed30 had Revo Stage 1 on it when I bought it and it made my R32 feel slow!

The noise could be a worn cam chain, not uncommon, especially at that mileage.  The ED30 engine is a solid work horse if looked after  :happy2:

There is no shortage of help and advice on here, so don't feel like you have to pay garages a lot of money to fix stuff.  It's all easily DIYable.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D