Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition30 Buying Advie - I'm new! Help wanted  (Read 9365 times)

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Edition30 Buying Advie - I'm new! Help wanted
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:55:44 am »
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and new to the world of the MK5 Golf GTI.

I'm coming from a 1984 Golf GTI MK2 of 21 years ownership and braving a mk5. What I have seen is a 2007 ed30; 75000, honest car, full record history and receipt. It is perhaps a little too honest. My impulse is to buy at £7400, but has rust appearing on the rear arch, its not broken through the paint but is visible. Whilst been through the mills owning a mk2 for 21 years and always up to getting things sorted, my worry is how much it is going to cost me to get this corrected or whether I should walk away. Any opinions/ advise appreciated. Photos will follow shortly once I have figured that bit out. Cheers Andy (BTH correctly on ebay number - 293141843012)

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Edition30 Buying Advie - I'm new! Help wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 06:27:06 pm »
Candidly, it doesn’t sound like a compelling buy. Whilst one needs to be realistic about fair wear and tear on a 12 year old car, rust on the rear arch isn’t a common issue and may be indicative of accident damage and possibly other issues elsewhere. Have a look at the TFSI for sale page on Facebook as there are a few other decent cars recently listed there.

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:47 pm »
Bcs/powervales exhaust was selling he’s Pirelli edition looked like a lovely car. Not sure if it’s sold yet tho

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 08:41:21 pm »
thanks for the replies. Rust is the reason I'm dry storing my mk2... can't keep on top of it and now after numerous patches it need to be stripped and panel replacement.

Such a shame on this car I've found... other than that is such a genuinely looked after car The rustlooks like is coming from the inside out. I'll look on face book never knew that site existed... is it a market place site? Also living in  Cornwall cars for sale are not conveniently placed. May end up with a standard got at this rate. Not that is a bad thing...

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 09:13:34 pm »
Photos... hopefully this works:

ding to door

the car

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
That looks nasty. In my experience - my old mkiv had arch rust after a poor repair prior to my ownership. I had it repaired a couple of times but the only thing that ever sorted it was a new panel. Never want to go through that hassle again - you should steer well clear of this ED30. Unless this is low miles, there's plenty of others out there...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 11:05:12 pm »
Thanks Dave J.... yep been chasing rust on my MK2 for years; just never goes away. Im putting the idea on that ED30 to bed. Seen something different ED for £5,950 with 125K which I may look at, one owner. Just got to put my impulsiveness aside.... although I have learnt something on buying, saw a MK5 GTI £6350 65k on the clock; aftermarket alloys not to my taste; but I though negotiation on price by the parker guide and some info from someone I know in the trade. Book price for private sale £5K, I went in at £5,200. The seller was not too impressed!! got to find a medium in my offers lol....

Is it easy to get traders to budge on price? any tips? anyone? Cheers

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »
Hi,

Ive looked at a couple that had the rust on the rear arch, both osr.
It appears some peoples "good condition" is not the same as anothers.

Good luck

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 07:48:18 pm »
Thanks Dave J.... yep been chasing rust on my MK2 for years; just never goes away. Im putting the idea on that ED30 to bed. Seen something different ED for £5,950 with 125K which I may look at, one owner. Just got to put my impulsiveness aside.... although I have learnt something on buying, saw a MK5 GTI £6350 65k on the clock; aftermarket alloys not to my taste; but I though negotiation on price by the parker guide and some info from someone I know in the trade. Book price for private sale £5K, I went in at £5,200. The seller was not too impressed!! got to find a medium in my offers lol....

Is it easy to get traders to budge on price? any tips? anyone? Cheers

Parkers doesn't mean all that much. If a seller want x than he wants x regardless of what Parker says. You're £1150 under what he wants on a 6k car, that a lot. If you're not impulsive keep looking but make sure your expections on price are realistic.

If you really like the car talk to the dealer, find out what he'd sell for. If that's more than you want to pay, move on.

Offline Dooge

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 12:20:35 am »
I feel your struggle, I am also looking for a well specced mk5 (not ED30 or Pirelli - xenons, manual, 5 door, winter pack, tartan seats in blue or grey with reasonable miles for £4k) and Im in Plymouth. Theres little around, how fussy are you with spec? I have seen a black GTI 5 door with the ED30 BBS alloys and a few other bits for sale in Plymouth if you are interested? Black isnt my thing.

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 08:08:59 am »
Parkers price guide is just for insurance companies to rob you. End of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:41:07 pm »
Just back on it... still looking, there seems a new surge of MK5 on the market with much better pricing i.e. lower price... just bidding my time...

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 01:58:26 pm »
Found anything yet?

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 06:43:01 pm »
MK5s don't normally rust on the rear arches.  It's either a stone chip that's been left to start a corrosion rampage, or it's been [badly] repaired as the others said.

They're not scarce cars, so hang out for a good one.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dubsteruk

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: Edition30 Buying Advice - I'm new! **UPDATE**
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 10:56:31 pm »
Hi All, thought I'd post an update to share.

I am now in the procession of a 2007 5-door Edition 30 with 130k on the clock.

OMG what a difference to my MK5!!??.... did know GTI's could accelerate so hard!!

To collect the car mean't a 10 hour round trip, so worth it. Picked it up for sub £5k. The condition through-out is very good, 10 stamps in log book with DSG service last year. Wheels un-curbed with what appears to be original lacquer.

Got the impression it has sat on motorways a lot of its life.

The bad bit is that it has the infamous tapping sound from the engine, this is a calculated risk; since I paid under the budget I have it in for a service for CAM belt, tensioner, water pump and chain adjuster/ tensioner?!! + get the CAM foller replaced. WIll keep you posted, I can imagine im going to become a bit of an avid reader of these forums haha.

Photos below: