Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 golf gti air in coolant  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Taylor07

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Mk5 golf gti air in coolant
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:40:16 pm »
Hi just tried replacing cam follower and a oring but while doing this I snapped a 4 way flange will I need to bleed the cooling system once I've replaced that bit also if I do how do you do it as never done it before.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Mk5 golf gti air in coolant
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 10:33:50 am »
Best way is to replace the part, refill the coolant - but don't replace the expansion tank cap - then start the engine and let it idle.  Any air will start to appear in the tank as the coolant circulates the system.  To speed up the process you can rev and hold the throttle for short periods as well as squeeze the main hoses to push the coolant around the system.  As the pipes start to get warm, just replace the cap and then go for a drive to take the system up to temperature.  Come back, park up and let the system cool (overnight is perfect) before checking and topping up any loss caused by air working its way out of the system into the expansion tank.

Try not to over-think it and I hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Taylor07

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Mk5 golf gti air in coolant
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 05:05:23 pm »
Cheers mate just did it thanks for the help would of been struggling otherwise