Make a donation

Author Topic: Which RCD330 to buy?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Enzoxs

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Which RCD330 to buy?
« on: July 18, 2019, 12:09:27 am »
I am looking to upgrade my RCD300 to an RCD330, although the many different models on offer are a little confusing, as is the question of what else I will need to use this in my '08 MK5.

The general consensus seems to be that the noname variant of the 187B is the one to go for due to the upgradable software, although how crucial is this? I am an iPhone user so do not care for Android auto, would it be a good idea to opt for a 1GB RAM model even if it is Desai? Will this increase in RAM mean a noticeable performance boost?

I know I will need the MSFW adapter, with this can I expect the issue of my up/down arrows skipping tracks whilst also operating the MFD? I read somewhere that a press of the OK button turns this off.

Will i need a can bus gateway too if I want to avoid battery drain?

Thanks,

Enzo

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: Which RCD330 to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:18:10 pm »
As an iPhone user you can opt for either the Desay or the Noname versions of the RCD330 187B since Apple CarPlay is available on both by default. The experience should be very similar if not the same on this aspect.

The Noname versions are slightly more expensive than the Desay units since they can be upgraded with new firmware that carry bug fixes and add new features. This is useful should Apple or Google upgrade functionality of their CarPlay/Android Auto experience over time (i.e. allowing more apps to run, improve Siri function etc). But to be honest the Desay units are usually stable and fast to use, plus its cheaper so you can't argue with all the functions you're getting.

I can't comment on the stock MFSW as I have a MK6 MFSW instead. Though when I press the "Press to Talk" button it acts as a Pause/Mute button for me on my RCD330. The left arrow keys on my wheel would normally skip tracks so I would assume it be the same on the stock one too but I can't confirm this at my end.

For the Canbus Gateway its touch and go, you have a 2008 spec car which is one of the later generations for the MK5 and it may have a Revision L which just about avoid the battery drain issue on newer audio units. But if not you can get the 7N0 gateways for not that much money these days, it may be worth checking scrapyards for salvaged MK6 Golfs/Jetta and haggle really cheaply for one. Alternatively you can rewire the fuse box which can stop this too - see this link here.