Make a donation

Author Topic: Another Air con Issue :)  (Read 7866 times)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Another Air con Issue :)
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:46:03 pm »
Hi All,
after help as air con isn't my strongest point:
So my air con hasn't worked at all since I've owned the car. when i turn econ off it didnt do nothing. scanned with VCDS and got the below error:
00229 - Refrigerant Pressure: 002 Lower Limit Exceeded

Possible Causes
 Refrigerant System undercharged
 Weak compressor / clutch
 Stuck open Expansion Valve
 Refrigerant Pressure Sensor

Possible Solutions
 Use a Gauge Set to check Low and High pressures
 Recover and Recharge Refrigerant to proper charge level (refer to vehicle label)
 Check Compressor / clutch
 Check Expansion Valve
 Refrigerant Pressure Sensor:  Check Measuring Value Blocks
 Check wiring, connections
 Check for leak at sensor connector)

I have had the system drained, pressure tested and re-gassed... all went fine and completed ok.

Now when i turn econ off (air con - on) the engine kicks / revs change like the air cons working.. but its not blowing any cold air. The vent temps don't change at all. i see some of the above ideas and possible solutions, but to be honest they don't really make sense to me. Any ideas in layman's terms?

Compressor? Pressure switch? - although i would of thought these are working if its "kicking in" or is that the ECU bumping the revs as air cons now on.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
Re: Another Air con Issue :)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:51:02 pm »
Try the solenoid valve, common failure point.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:32:58 pm »
Try the solenoid valve, common failure point.
This was one of the first things that come to mind, is there a way of testing it before replacing? as I guess it'll need another re-gas after?

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:23:55 pm »
High pressure switch is common, and can be changed without losing refrigerant, it has a schrader valve type fitting on it which unscews from the pipe.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 11:39:58 am »
thanks mate, I'll give that a go then  :happy2:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 03:00:32 pm »
Guys out of curiosity what area of VCDS did you check for AC issues as I have an intermittent issue whereby the AC blows hot at first then after 5-10 mins is fine. Not over familiar with the navigation of VCDS so any help appreciated

TIA
Louie

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:24:49 pm »
Guys out of curiosity what area of VCDS did you check for AC issues as I have an intermittent issue whereby the AC blows hot at first then after 5-10 mins is fine. Not over familiar with the navigation of VCDS so any help appreciated

TIA
Louie
Louie, its in the HVAC module on VCDS

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 06:34:53 pm »

TIA
Louie
Louie, its in the HVAC module on VCDS
Top man. Gonna have a look now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 07:28:44 pm »
Well I’ve run VCDS in HVAC mode and no codes found. I’m no thinking it may need re gassing. Need to look back at the mass of bills to see when it was last done.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 08:23:41 am »
i have no cold air at all, when set to cold it just blows ambient air as if the air cons off. i need to replace the high pressure switch, but to be honest I'm a little sceptical, as it seems as though its kicking in, just not blowing cold air. i have a feeling it could be the compressor. if the high pressure switch wasn't working, id have thought i'd have a code or the air con wouldn't act as though its kicking in. something i want and need to sort, but head gasket went on my touran so I have bigger fish to fry right now, this is a little something in the background while waiting on my head being pressure tested.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 11:21:30 am »
But if no codes and showing in VCDS then would that elude to the system needing to be re gassed? I assume that the need for re gassing wouldn’t cause any codes? If the compressor or any other electromechanical parts were playing up wouldn’t VCDS detect those and show the codes??

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 01:46:52 pm »
Well you’d like to think so yes but does any diagnostic software pick up everything.. unfortunately not!

Mine wasn’t working at all, then since the regas and leak test, it now kicks in. Just doesn’t blow cold air.

From what I’ve read, if the gas is low the air con won’t kick in.. and due to my error code up top about the pressure low.. it all made sense why it’s now kicking in since a regas.

The problem is, no cold air being blown through. Defo think it’s more compressor, solenoid or high pressure switch. I’ll have a poke around with VCDS over the weekend and see if I can see anything obvious. Once I get it going I can then look forward to the part where I moan it isn’t cold enough and the condenser is buggered too haha!
If you look online about generic air con systems, It doesn’t look too difficult, (I’m learning) just a balls ache rectifying the issue.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 02:22:29 pm »
Well, Low & Behold. I just drove the car. First 5 mins, no A/C and just felt like ambient air, then after turning on and off, depressing the buttons to divert air between dash and footwell, turning from auto to manual, Cold A/C started :grin:. I am taking to a mates garage later and he will recharge the AC gas. Freemans to me so let's see if that helps, but like you say keep us posted on your findings and hopefully, we will both crack this!!!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 04:34:34 pm »
i hope we crack it before the hot weathers done  :signLOL: let us know what you find Louie  :happy2:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 05:16:26 pm »
Just heading out to pals garage now. Will update later