Make a donation

Author Topic: Another Air con Issue :)  (Read 7881 times)

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Another Air con Issue :)
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 03:20:39 pm »
Well ac was re gassed. Wasn’t overly low, but had it re charged. This morning when I went out in the car it again took 3 miles and 8 minutes, constantly adjusting the ac controls before cold air kicked in.
I emailed that guy that did my REVO STG2 and he stated

It sounds like you have had a flap motor seized not letting the cool air out its quite common they can some times put a fault code in if you scan it with VCDS

So fook knows what my issue is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 10:03:07 pm »
That’s a new one.. what’s the flap motor he’s referring too? Does he mean the cold to hot motor flaps?
Have you changed your high pressure switch or compressor solenoid?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 09:57:28 am »
Hi bud
Yeah I think you’re right re the hot to cold flaps. I’ve not changed the high pressure switch and that’s my next job as it’s easy. What’s the other compressor solenoid do and where is it located?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 10:10:52 am »
Hi dude - think I have sussed the issue as this vid is exactly what's happening to me

Methinks a trip to eBay to get a compressor solenoid switch is on the cards :-)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 11:01:49 am »
Yeah that’s the solenoid, apparently that’s another common failure. I did have a play with my controls like you did but nothing on mine!

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 01:25:52 pm »
Ok just purchased one of these. Now can this be installed without having to drain the ac gas or having to do anything other than the video??

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 01:27:43 pm »
Solenoid change needs the gas extracted and the high pressure switch doesn’t

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 02:23:20 pm »
Thanks, bud, yeah just re-watched the vid!!! Now how can I tell, without pulling the inner arch out if the valve is a bolt on or secured by the clamp ring? I think its a clamp ring but can anyone confirm?

https://rkxtech.com/collections/air-conditioning/products/rkx-ac-compressor-control-solenoid-valve-for-sanden-pxe16-pxe13-bolt-down-style

https://rkxtech.com/collections/air-conditioning/products/sanden-pxe16?variant=25079762569

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 05:38:30 pm »
Before you purchase a solenoid check the data badge on your compressor. The GTI comes fitted with 3 different compressors, Zexel, Denso & Sanden, the solenoid valves are not interchangeable, i.e. if you have a Zexel you need a Zexel solenoid.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 03:54:05 pm »
Before you purchase a solenoid check the data badge on your compressor. The GTI comes fitted with 3 different compressors, Zexel, Denso & Sanden, the solenoid valves are not interchangeable, i.e. if you have a Zexel you need a Zexel solenoid.
i didn't know this, ive seen videos of people fixing them with solenoid that was shorter

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 04:07:41 pm »

Thanks dude
I didn’t know this. Saw on YouTube that the guy changed his with the RKX solenoid which was longer and better quality? I may leave this anyway as looking to swap engine to a BYD

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2019, 04:17:31 pm »
well i plugged VCDS in again today: had the same code pop up again (Refrigerant pressure low) i had an error code in the compressor status "number 3" which means compressor off because: refrigerant is too low.

the refrigerant pressure displayed 0.0bar  :surprised: which is weird because i had it cycled on the machine last week. extract,  pressure test (passed) then a re-gas.

come to think of it, i swear i see a dusting of white smoke the other day, but wasn't sure if i was seeing things in the sunlight lol. the air con wont turn on now (obvs because its too low) so i need to get another pressure test done because I'm now thinking: maybe the low and high pressures are wrong for whatever reason? and have blown a hole in something.  :thinking:

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 05:29:39 pm »
i didn't know this, ive seen videos of people fixing them with solenoid that was shorter

The Sanden copies that are on eBay may fit the Denso Compressors as the are very similar, but will not fit the Zexel.

The model number for Sanden is PXE16 and Zexel DCS17E.

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »
I have the same issue. Garage told me it was the flap motor £200 To replace. I bought a second hand one off a nice chap on here for £10 and going to do it myself, but haven't got round to fitting it,  going to next week
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 02:57:28 pm »
I have the same issue. Garage told me it was the flap motor £200 To replace. I bought a second hand one off a nice chap on here for £10 and going to do it myself, but haven't got round to fitting it,  going to next week

Interesting as thats what the guy who did my Revo map said - Quote

Hi Louie

It sounds like you have had a flap motor seized thats not letting the cool air out. its quite common they can some times put a fault code in if you scan it with VCDS

However as i stated on here a few times i'm getting no codes when scanning with VCDS, Hadnt drove the car for a week till today and its been in garage. Used it earlier and from the get go AC was blowing cold :thinking: :thinking: