Make a donation

Author Topic: AC pump is gone can i use a non AC belt to get the car moving?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline bazmk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My AC pump is gone (Seized) does anyone know if i can fit a non AC belt to the alternator to get the car moving?

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: AC pump is gone can i use a non AC belt to get the car moving?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:13:13 pm »
I can’t help much in the way of what belt you need, but yes you can do an air con delete and get a shorter belt. Give google a bash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bazmk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 08:32:25 pm »
Yeah i dont want to delete AC i just want to be able to move the car to get a new compressor fitted. All the threads ive seen talk about AC delete removing the pump etc, i think the pump has to come out even with a shorter belt, can anyone confirm this?

MPS

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:11 pm »
My AC pump is gone (Seized) does anyone know if i can fit a non AC belt to the alternator to get the car moving?

Must say this is very odd as the compressor has a shaft that is designed to shear if the internals seize, so it should have absolutely no bearing on whether the car starts or not.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 09:36:09 pm »
I thought the air con pulley should freewheel even if the pump is seized as it uses a magnetic clutch to engage the pump.  :thinking:

Offline bazmk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 12:30:31 am »
I hear what you are saying but the pump is seized the wheel is totally stuck and it sheered the belt, perhaps part of the belt got lodged in it when it broke?

When it happened i got a really bad smell in the cabin after the belt went followed by black smoke from the rear then i pulled over and opened the bonnet to find the belt had snapped and the alternator was smoking. One i removed th ebelt i was able to drive home (short distance) but my battery isnt great now i have to charge it to turn the car over.

I got the new belt and went fitting it today and noticed the alternator flywheel was fine and the tension was fine but the AC compressor was totally seized.

Some background to this i replaced the solenoid in the AC compressor a while back and it was working great, however i had the solenoid off the car for a week while i was searching for the correct part and i think oil from the compressor leaked out. I was assured this was OK when i got the system re gassed as oil was part of the re-gassing but im suspicious about this and i suspect the lack of oil caused the bearings to seize after a few weeks of use. I also got a new condenser around the same time as that was leaking so its been a bit of a nightmare to say the least...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 12:38:48 am by bazmk5 »