Make a donation

Author Topic: RTech switchable remapping?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
RTech switchable remapping?
« on: July 18, 2019, 02:23:36 am »
Hello,

Going to get the eddy retuned from R-Tech (Currently with APR).. Looking to get the switchable map option but a dumb question to ask. I have a HPFP and if I switch the map to tune 1 (Standard), will the car save fuel or use the same amount of fuel as it is on tune 5? Reason I ask this, I know its a gti and it was never made for saving fuel however I dont plant my foot down every day and some days I would much rather just switch it to tune 1 and save the fuel.

Thanks. 

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: RTech switchable remapping?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:38:32 am »
Switchable mapping is not available at every stage of tune so check this to avoid disappointment

If you drive economically i.e. off boost it will have no effect. All the switchable mapping does is reduce the boost, and therefore power level. You could run it on map 5, cruise at 50 and use the same fuel as you would in map 1
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 12:04:14 pm »
Thank you for the reply

So if i'm correct, your saying there really is no point going from APR to R Tech because the switchable map doesnt help with economy. I might as well just stay with APR and get them to retune the engine so it does pops and bangs. Only reason I wanted to go for R Tech was because of the switchable maps so I can save economy but thats just based on how you drive. Looks like I need to stop planting my foot a lot more :D

Thank you.

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 02:10:27 pm »
These cars run at stoich (14.7:1) under cruising and light loads and they do that as standard. Changing your driving style will by far have the biggest improvement.

Also, consider that you would have to be driving a hell of a lot of miles to even think that the cost of the remap would ever be recouped from fuel economy savings
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »
These cars run at stoich (14.7:1) under cruising and light loads and they do that as standard. Changing your driving style will by far have the biggest improvement.

Also, consider that you would have to be driving a hell of a lot of miles to even think that the cost of the remap would ever be recouped from fuel economy savings

I actually dont have cruise control installed in my car from factory but apparentally it is not too hard to retrofit it so will be looking into doing that. Im not wanting to do a remap only to save fuel economy, the remap is actually because I am going to install a decat downpipe, rs4 valve and an intercooler so will need to retune it again and while I retune it, i want to install the pops and bangs feature too thats why I am retuning the car. I just thought I would save fuel by having the switchable maps as I thought it was the whole point of installing switchable maps but I guess its not. So to save fuel I need to just drive the car on cruise or keep my foot low. Was just wondering thats all as I dont always want to drive aggressively and sometimes I can just save fuel by leaving it on cruise or not using the foot too much.

Thanks.