Make a donation

Author Topic: R tech health check  (Read 1885 times)

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
R tech health check
« on: July 19, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »
Hi guys

Quick question, anyone know roughly how much r tech charge for inlet cleaning, injector test/cleaning and general health check!? I know people have had it done but nothing on their website, they recently put a FB post on saying their down to limited staff during the summer so done wanna call/message just yet!

Cheers!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: R tech health check
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »
Probably around the £450 mark.  Other places charge £300ish +VAT just for the walnut blasting, as a comparison.

Do the health check yourself mate.  Buy a compression tester, change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc, check for intake/intercooler leaks and scan it for codes before you go.   

Carbon build up doesn't affect peak power at all, only very low rpm and idle conditions.

Knackered injectors do have more of an impact on drivability and performance, and also knock potential.....but if yours were shot you would know about it already with persistent misfire codes.

If your car is slammed on coilovers, you'll be wanting to wind them up for the dyno.   Dynos aren't slammed friendly at all.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:58 pm »
Cheers mate! I’ve already changed oil,oil  filters, plugs and coils! Got a fuel filter ready to fit too! I had planned on dropping sump and cleaning it up along with pick up pipe, unfortunately those 2/3 tricky bolts got the better of me so had to give up for now, think I may need a wobbly head for my ratchet!

Currently running the revo intake, although had the misfortune of getting one of the dodgy batch where the mounting point snapped! Checked it over and nothing went into the intake but put me off the product, the filter does need a clean/new one, can the filters be bought separately!?

Compression testing....Simple job!?

Checked a couple of videos re smoke testing for leaks, seems straight forward, scanned for  fault codes and nothing major so all good there!

Heard the walnut blasting and injector cleaning can help with responsiveness rather than power gains!?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:56:20 pm »
Yeah you just need a wobble joint or a selection of 1/4" bits to get at the bolts by the gearbox.

Yeah I had a Revo intake and that is a crap design.  Such a small area to support all that weight and engine movement.  I used a rubber bobbin on mine to take the load off and allow a bit of movement.  Just makes me laugh all their marketing drivel and they completely overlooked that very basic requirement  :grin:

Anyway, yeah a compression test is very simple.  A tester is £20 or less on Amazon and you just remove all the plugs and test each cylinder 1 by 1.  You're not looking for mega accuracy, just consistency across all 4 pots.  A healthy engine should read 12 bar across all 4, but 10 bar is lower limit I think.

Yeah responsiveness will be better with fresh injectors, but in all honesty I noticed nothing at all after a walnut blast  :grin:

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:12:17 pm »
My revo also took out the mount on the engine too! Was looking at the ram air oversized but it’s stupid price! Might take off my revo, clean it up and put some black silicone hosing over the snapped mount the stop it from rubbing and causing a mess!

I’ll defo give the compression test and smoke test a go! I haven’t got any issues with misfires etc so probs just leave the injectors/intake as is until I upgrade my turbo!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:42:50 pm »
Yeah that's the bit that usually goes from metal fatiguing.  Where it bolts to the cam chain cover? 

Sounds like yours is probably OK and ripe for some extra ponies.  R-Tech can normally tell during the mapping stage if something isn't quite right and they'll limit the power until you get it sorted, or you can just switch to the stock map temporarily.

Offline lloydy88

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »
Yeah mate snapped at that exact point! I’ll get itnsorted and save the money for new upgrades! Thanks for the help and advice! I’ll maybe create some threads when im doing the compression and smoke tests and keep you updated! Thanks again!