Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 golf gti tfsi air intake  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Mackenzie79

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk5 golf gti tfsi air intake
« on: July 20, 2019, 11:36:44 am »
the mk5 golf gti tfsi has the air filter in the engine cover and follows round to a cold intake in the front grill. I've seen a pic online where it seems someone has removed the standard filter and simply attached a cone filter to the engine cover where the cold intake would have attached to the front grill. Obviously the MAF is still seated in its original position.

Would this be worth doing performance/sound wise. I know it's not the correct way but would be cheaper and wouldn't have to remove anything other that the intake plastics bolted to the front grill. Just curious really..

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Mk5 golf gti tfsi air intake
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:28:08 pm »
You're just going to be sucking in hot air from the engine bay if you do that and most likely getting worse performance than the standard set up.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 04:25:24 pm »
kind of a little off course here but rather than making a new topic for something that could be relevant or an option for OP:

does anyone know if a mk6 intake would bolt straight on? so you can have the Cold air intake style with no engine cover(minus no cone) and bypass the crud engine cover?

Soz for high jacking but if this is an option you could maybe put the Mk6 gti intake on with an uprated panel filter, rather than adding a pointless code onto a rubbish intake system.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 12:09:39 pm »
Pointless.  The filtered air would travel exactly the same path, and have to fill that empty void before reaching the turbo.  You would quite literally be better off with the standard filter in place.  Have a look at the MK6/MK7.  Air box moved over to the battery area and a long pipe going to the turbo.  That is how you do it  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 12:13:35 pm »
kind of a little off course here but rather than making a new topic for something that could be relevant or an option for OP:

does anyone know if a mk6 intake would bolt straight on? so you can have the Cold air intake style with no engine cover(minus no cone) and bypass the crud engine cover?

Soz for high jacking but if this is an option you could maybe put the Mk6 gti intake on with an uprated panel filter, rather than adding a pointless code onto a rubbish intake system.

@muff1991 The the airbox and turbo inlet pipe all bolt straight in......well..... the airbox WOULD if it were not for the GTI's radiator pipes getting in the way.

In short, to do it to OEM standards you would need a MK6 radiator and coolant pipes as well.  Not worth the hassle or expense mate.   

Not to mention the MK6 MAF is completely different to a MK5's, and the loom for that would need shortening considerably.

I have all the MK6 bits and it seems to me the best solution would be: MK6 turbo inlet pipe > 42DD MAF housing > some kind of pod or canister filter  :happy2:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/fsi-maf-housing-through/  £141 shipped to the UK + VAT & Customs when it lands, so add another 23% on top of that.   Not cheap but then again, Racingline charge nearly 500 quid for their POS!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:25:00 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:19:11 am »

@muff1991 The the airbox and turbo inlet pipe all bolt straight in......well..... the airbox WOULD if it were not for the GTI's radiator pipes getting in the way.

In short, to do it to OEM standards you would need a MK6 radiator and coolant pipes as well.  Not worth the hassle or expense mate.   

Not to mention the MK6 MAF is completely different to a MK5's, and the loom for that would need shortening considerably.

I have all the MK6 bits and it seems to me the best solution would be: MK6 turbo inlet pipe > 42DD MAF housing > some kind of pod or canister filter  :happy2:

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/fsi-maf-housing-through/  £141 shipped to the UK + VAT & Customs when it lands, so add another 23% on top of that.   Not cheap but then again, Racingline charge nearly 500 quid for their POS!
cheers pudding, i had a feeling it wouldn't be straight forward! i didn't realise you'd have to contend with all of that though, but more than makes sense. it was something i thought might be a better alternative to the standard mk5 air box.. coz i personally think its a load of rubbish. I'll just stick to my sponge on a tube job  :grin: bugger the MAF scaling etc lol