Make a donation

Author Topic: Clutch pedal sticking *solved*  (Read 23346 times)

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ae5a9j0j7tte57o7266nnp90s8&/topic,120945.0.html
Clutch pedal sticking *solved*
« on: July 21, 2019, 12:27:15 am »
Since I bought my MK5 GTI, I’ve had an issue where the clutch pedal will sometimes  stick on the way back up again, needing a toe underneath to flick it back up again. It often did this whilst turning/just after a right turn. I knew when it was going to happen as it would feel like it had lost a bit of pressure when I depressed the pedal. I also found if I put my foot a little on the clutch pedal and then started to jab the accelerator, the clutch would pulsate up and down again in time to pressing the accelerator.

I was worried it might be crank walk after reading up a little on the symptoms along with other posts from people who’ve replaced the whole clutch system chasing the same symptoms as I had, only to never fix the fault. I also thought it may be the pressure plate or the clutch slave cylinder.

To start with, I bled the system and changed the master cylinder which improved things a little -  but only temporarily.

I then stumbled across a post about input shaft play on the early MK5 GTI’s. What happens is the input shaft bearing starts to eat into the gearbox case, causing play within the gearbox. Symptoms are difficulty selecting gears, whining from the gearbox, clutch drag and, certainly in my case, a clutch that sometimes sticks on the way back up.

The fix is either a new gearbox, or, for £28 and an hour of your time DIY, a gearbox shim kit from these guys

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/02m-02q-gearbox-input-shaft-shim-kit-and-end-cap.html

It’s an easy-ish DIY job. Simply jack the car up, remove wheel, remove arch lining, remove plastic end cap from gearbox, remove snap ring from input shaft bearing, insert between 1-3 shims depending on the play (I did 2) , re-insert snap ring, put new plastic end cap on gearbox, fit arch lining, fit wheel and then bask in your own self glory.

I believe this problem affects early MK5 GTI’s rather than the later ones as they had the shim fitted at factory. I think some other VAG cars with the 02M, 02Q gearbox are also affected.

I drove my car for an hour after doing the work and I couldn’t stop grinning. It’s made a massive difference and I have zero problems with the clutch sticking now.

So in summary, if your clutch keeps sticking it might be due to play on your input shaft bearing. For £28 and an hour of your time, you are as well doing this before you start pulling the gearbox off thinking you’ve got clutch slave cylinder, pressure plate, crank walk or dual mass flywheel issues.

Here’s the how to vid;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WWChWV9Rqw

Enjoy, GTiWILL  :happy2:

P.S my car is a ‘55 plate manual with 151,000 miles for reference.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:29:15 am by GTiWILL »

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
Re: Clutch pedal sticking *solved*
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:14:07 pm »
This is very useful GTiWILL, thanks for this. My 2005 GTI have sticking clutch pedal issues as well, I had a full brake fluid change done recently and Clutch & DMF replacement not long ago which didn't solve the problem so I gave up and lived with it. But seeing how easy this looks to solve the problem I may give this one a go.

By chance can you tell us which kit you ordered - the 79.35mm one or the 84.5mm?

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ae5a9j0j7tte57o7266nnp90s8&/topic,120945.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 08:59:59 pm »
This is very useful GTiWILL, thanks for this. My 2005 GTI have sticking clutch pedal issues as well, I had a full brake fluid change done recently and Clutch & DMF replacement not long ago which didn't solve the problem so I gave up and lived with it. But seeing how easy this looks to solve the problem I may give this one a go.

By chance can you tell us which kit you ordered - the 79.35mm one or the 84.5mm?

It was the 79.5mm kit for mine but I’d check yours by measuring it.

It’s definitely a worthwhile mod. It’s changed mine like you wouldn’t believe. Let me know how you get on!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:37:54 pm »
nice write up @GTiWILL
very well explained, problem & solution all in one! enjoyed my read.. and will sure look out for that, I have heard of it before but was some extra symptoms you listed, which make total sense!
thanks  :happy2:

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 06:22:20 pm »
nice write up @GTiWILL
very well explained, problem & solution all in one! enjoyed my read.. and will sure look out for that, I have heard of it before but was some extra symptoms you listed, which make total sense!
thanks  :happy2:

Thanks bud, hopefully it will help others who are suffering from the same fate.

Online GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:56:46 pm »
Top post @GTiWILL  :congrats:

Offline HowardGar

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Clutch pedal sticking solved
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:00 pm »
clutch pedal shuld be level with brake when not pressed
if its lifting very quickly --like half way --maybe cable is adjusted wrong and over centereing the clutch causing it to bind?
full clear about 1-2 "off floor  would be correct presuming std clutch

my site hdfkuoy78qerygsadhsdh.com

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 06:24:29 pm »
clutch pedal shuld be level with brake when not pressed
if its lifting very quickly --like half way --maybe cable is adjusted wrong and over centereing the clutch causing it to bind?
full clear about 1-2 "off floor  would be correct presuming std clutch

my site hdfkuoy78qerygsadhsdh.com
Clutch pedal should be level with the brake pedal yes. But can I just point out - these clutch pedals are all operated via a hydraulic master cylinder not a cable as seen is older/other cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GTiWILL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 08:36:56 pm »
^^^ I haven’t clicked that link but I think it’s possibly spam.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 06:12:43 pm »
Nice  :happy2:

You can easily check crank end float by levering on the crank pulley.  There should be barely any movement at all.  If the pulley pops out a good 3-4mm, it's engine out time as the thrust bearing is shot.

FWIW.... apart from the pedal sticking down, some sports clutches like the earlier Helix kit for example, can exhibit exactly the same symptoms.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline LorettawastY

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Hello
    • Email
Clutch pedal sticking solved
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 11:12:56 am »
Hi all,

Since installing an R154 conversion, the clutch release point is right at the top of the pedal stroke and makes for difficult driving.

I know you can adjust the rod from the back of the master cylinder, but can anybody guide me as to which way to turn the rod and how to set the pedal stop?

TIA

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline svvg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 05:27:59 pm »
I’ve got this problem with mine - 113,000 miles, AXX engine - can’t remember which gearbox code off hand... itms overdue a brake bleed, so will bleed the clutch too while I’m there (having seen few helpful threads re the need to brim the brake fluid reservoir as the clutch filler is above the max line....). Not holding out much hope - as too simple a fix! So may go down this route too, and will report back.

Offline andyiseddy02

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 Passat SEL estate. 2.0 FSI T.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 01:14:27 pm »
Just done this on my sons mk5. Result, nice one.

I had read it before and only when he mentioned it did I show him the post. He read it and was all giddy, yes that is it mine does that. :jumpmove:

When he was under there he noticed the intercooler pipe had come off and found a plastic cap that needed screwing back in probably causing the oil leak. Triple result.

My son has not been doing so well lately, bit of stress due to work etc and has been a bit lacking in the maintenance dept and has been fed up with his Golf (and everything else really) so this has been a nice cheap fix.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 07:59:06 pm by andyiseddy02 »

Offline svvg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »
Good to hear - trying to get through some diy jobs this morning/afternoon inside - then going to have a bash at this myself!

Hope things get better for your son - get him a remap to put a real smile on his face!

Offline svvg

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 03:05:35 pm »
Mine’s fixed too!

OP - thank you SO much for posting this, you total legend. Car is now drivable - and avoided unnecessary time and cost chasing slave cylinder issues etc.