Make a donation

Author Topic: Washer jets different on GTI/Non-GTI?  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Washer jets different on GTI/Non-GTI?
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:02:45 pm »
I did a GTI bumper facelift today and all went well apart from some oddness with the washer jets. Are the jet assemblies the same on both a GTI/Non-GTI? The jets themselves when seemed to fit well, but when fitted (2 lugs line up to locate them, then 1 screw to secure) the sit a bit low. This means when I fit the GTI covers they will not retract fully as they snag on the bottom of the receiving hole in the bumper.

I cant believe VW would make very slightly different parts? I'm wondering if cutting the 2 lugs off to allow them to sit a few mm higher would be the fix.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can tell me if the part numbers are the same?

Cheer

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Washer jets different on GTI/Non-GTI?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 01:45:08 pm »
I've now figured this out. The GTI jets have a shorter support at the bottom of the jet cylinder compared to the non-GTI jets.

I spotted the difference in @willni post about retrofitting them and you can see the support clearly in this pic

Compare that to my non-GTI support bracket

For now I've just removed the support bracket, but they are well supported by the front screw and now sit at the correct angle allowing the covers to be fitted and retract properly. The support does not appear to have its own part number, so I may have to get 2 complete GTI jets.

willni

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 06:20:57 pm »
I've now figured this out. The GTI jets have a shorter support at the bottom of the jet cylinder compared to the non-GTI jets.

I spotted the difference in @willni post about retrofitting them and you can see the support clearly in this pic

Compare that to my non-GTI support bracket

For now I've just removed the support bracket, but they are well supported by the front screw and now sit at the correct angle allowing the covers to be fitted and retract properly. The support does not appear to have its own part number, so I may have to get 2 complete GTI jets.

I keep my part invoices for my car history I’ll give it a check for a bracket part number. I forgot about the hell that was headlight washer retrofitting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rolexmk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:59:54 am »
i had the same problem
did not know what problem was thanks for info

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:21:36 pm »
@willni in your pic of all your parts in the retrofit thread, the jets are bagged up with the brackets already fitted, so I'm not sure you can buy them as a separate part.

@rolexmk5 Glad to clear it up! it's not like VW to make more parts than they need. I guess the bigger foglight vents/surrounds mean the bracket cannot sit as low, so they had to shorten it for the GTI.