Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake pedal wobble  (Read 5578 times)

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Brake pedal wobble
« on: July 24, 2019, 08:21:26 am »
Does anyone else's brake pedal 'wobble' ever so slightly from side to side? Its only a small amount but its very off putting! Ive bought a replacement sleeve, bushes, bolt & nut to replace and hopefully that resolves it but wondered if anyone else had experienced this or fixed it?

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Brake pedal wobble
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 11:46:20 am »
Yep. I asked the same question a couple years back and others confirmed that the brake is no where near as stable side-to-side compared to the clutch or accelerator. Mine moves maybe 5mm laterally if i grab it and wobble. I've subsequently gotten over it and don't even notice anymore. Would be interesting to know if these replacement parts firm it up though.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:48:12 am »
Yep. I asked the same question a couple years back and others confirmed that the brake is no where near as stable side-to-side compared to the clutch or accelerator. Mine moves maybe 5mm laterally if i grab it and wobble. I've subsequently gotten over it and don't even notice anymore. Would be interesting to know if these replacement parts firm it up though.

Good to know Im not the only one then! Ill update the post once with results Ive fitted them  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:05:49 pm »
Does it wobble under braking?  If not, ignore it.  Can't say I've noticed any lateral movement in my pedal.  DSG or manual?  Maybe they're slightly different?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:23:15 am »
Does it wobble under braking?  If not, ignore it.  Can't say I've noticed any lateral movement in my pedal.  DSG or manual?  Maybe they're slightly different?

DSG. Would love to forget about it but its really off putting in slow moving traffic etc. Will see how I get on with the new bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 12:30:03 pm »
Must be that then as all 3 of my pedals have no side to side movement at all. 135K on them.  Good luck with the new parts!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 02:42:48 pm »
UPDATE - went to remove the bolt at the weekend (its a nightmare as you need both hands, 2 spanners and you've got no room to work it) and it turns out the steering column bracket is in the way! Will have to do some more investigation...