Make a donation

Author Topic: Replace Brake Pads (and bolts?)  (Read 5851 times)

Offline gti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Replace Brake Pads (and bolts?)
« on: July 30, 2019, 01:10:58 pm »
I plan on replacing the rear brake pads on my GTI and will follow the pelican parts guide...

Here:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_V/127-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Pad_Replacement/127-BRAKES-Rear_Brake_Pad_Replacement.htm

It mentions that the 13mm bolts that hold the caliper to the caliper mount are "single use only" since they are micro-encapsulated by VW. My question is, to those who have replaced their brake pads, did you replace these bolts with new ones, or just clean them up and put some Loctite on them?

Cheers  :smiley:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: Replace Brake Pads (and bolts?)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 06:01:09 pm »
I think most quality brake pads should come with the bolts, recently changed my mates rears with Pagid pads and new bolts were supplied.

Offline gti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 08:55:23 pm »
I think most quality brake pads should come with the bolts, recently changed my mates rears with Pagid pads and new bolts were supplied.

Perfect... I plan on picking up some Brembo pads from ECP whilst they have sale on, will take a look when I get them.

Thanks mate  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h903e81gadrgbr9i0jg13cogc0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 10:57:00 pm »
Don’t loctite them. Just use new bolts

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:53:19 am »
The new bolts supplied with the pads come with Loctite already applied. In the past on other cars I've just cleaned them up and put Loctite on them, they're not tightened to a particularly high torque figure.

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 10:34:24 am »
yes, use new bolts if you can, as mentioned most pads come with the new bolts. Most also come with new sliders too, but I guess that's a given.