Make a donation

Author Topic: What the scirocco 2.0l petrol like compared to the mk 5 golf gti  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
Hi, had my mk 5 GTI for nearly 2 years and probably going to change in the next few months. Have looked at the scirocco as it is similar inside to mine and I love the look of it. My question is what are they like to drive compared to the mk 5 gti ? I am guessing the engine is from the mk 6 GTI? Do they behave similarly etc?
Cheers guys
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline Sparkie90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: What the scirocco 2.0l petrol like compared to the mk 5 golf gti
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 10:17:11 pm »
They are similar to drive on the whole - Scirocco performs well as you would expect. Cabin can bit a bit less airy than the Mk5 GTI, particularly if no sunroof. In terms of the engine you would be going from EA113 to EA888.  Obvs all engines have their issues, with EA888 the main weakness is the timing chain tensioners failing which could write off the engine, this wasn't an issue with EA113. If you go to that engine the first job is changing the chain and tensioners as preventative measure... The Scirocco R has the EA113 so wouldn't have that problem...

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 07:38:13 am »
Hi matey,
Yes I agree that the cabin in darker as you would expect.
I had the tensioner changed on mine also. Does that engine also require the same maintenance parts, eg PCV valve, DV valve, pick up pipe, etc ?
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline Sparkie90

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 11:45:07 am »
I would do a search on here for the EA113 vs EA888 mate, that will list out all the issues.
There are some general similarities in maintenance but some key differences, for example the cam follower I think is roller based on the EA888 and less of a failure issue

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 04:51:02 pm »
Hi matey,
Yes I agree that the cabin in darker as you would expect.
I had the tensioner changed on mine also. Does that engine also require the same maintenance parts, eg PCV valve, DV valve, pick up pipe, etc ?

I found the Scirocco cabin very claustrophobic.  If I was in the market for a VAG that cramped inside, I'd go TT personally.  Much better looking car and built better also.

Yeah the EA888 still suffers from blown PCV valves, but unlike the EA113, that can blow out the rear crank seal, which is an utter ball ache.  The same general maintenance rules apply, although arguably the EA888 is worse as it has an extra rubber belt running the water pump, and no cambelt.....so at some point there's going to be a big chain replacement bill.

The EA113 Scirocco R is therefore the best buy imo.  It's got the CDL in it, which is well known to be the strongest TFSI unit.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D