Make a donation

Author Topic: Blowers not blowing air  (Read 5229 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Blowers not blowing air
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:10:04 pm »
My 2005 GTi recently stopped blowing air out of the vents. The blowers are definitely working as I can hear them, and if I put it in recirculation mode it blows luke-warm air out of the vents. I've removed the pollen filter as I read that could be a solution, but no avail.

This thread here explains in greater detail: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/124464-Touran-blower-works-no-air-comes-out-the-vents-Why?s=7a2e21569f8f8f7eee1b444e5518a205

Essentially:
- Blowers work, but no air coming out of the vents
- I've done the positional reset, but no air ever comes out of the vents
- Removed the pollen filter
- When I go into reverse, recirculation mode automatically turns on
- Recirculation mode spits out luke-warm air

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Blowers not blowing air
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 03:36:06 pm »
It is likely that one of your flap motors is faulty or a vent is stuck. Do a scan with vcds or obdeleven as the motors give a code when faulty. Also look at the live data when operating the flaps, you will see from the open and closed values which one is faulty. If you don't have a scanner, the fault you are describing is normally the V71 Recirc flap motor. The recirc flap motors are next to the fan behind the glove box, you will see two 6mm bolts, undo them and release the tabs at the top and front right, you will need to move the electrical box on the right of the fan (2 10mm nuts), to have enough space to remove it. Move the assembly to the right then pull out. The V71 motor is the one at the back with the white cog.   

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:01:19 pm »
The recirc mode is meant to come on to prevent exhaust fumes being sucked into the car. :happy2:

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:01:59 pm »
I've purchased a new V71 recirc flap motor to replace, as that's what was showing up on the scan, as well as a V159; left side. Is there more than one in the car?

Additionally all the guides I can find are for left-hand drive cars, is the layout reversed or do I have to come at it from the opposite side? Anyone have any experience with replacing these?

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 07:36:13 am »
🥺