Make a donation

Author Topic: N205 Valve help.  (Read 5831 times)

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
N205 Valve help.
« on: August 03, 2019, 06:58:52 pm »
So I replaced my N205 Valve as I was getting the P0011 code for timing setpoint not being reached.

After replacement I cleared the code (it's the only OBD2 code my car has) then took it for a long-ish drive.

Now it's got the code P000A for slow response from Bank1.

I've already got a chain and tensioner kit on the way and will get all the gaskets and seals ready to do the timing chain next month.

Realistically I'm starting to think the old N205 valve was perfectly fine, so should I just send the new one back??

Seems like a waste of money now tbh.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
Re: N205 Valve help.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 09:02:48 pm »
You won't be allowed to return a used part.

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:55:29 pm »
You won't be allowed to return a used part.
It was bought via ebay, but realistically I'm trying to decide whether to just stick the old OEM part back in and send back the aftermarket one since it didn't fix the issue it just changed the fault.

Presumably the root cause is a nearly buggered chain/tensioner which I would assume is what's causing the fault code for the timing set point not being reached (P0011).

I'm also skeptical of the OEM part because surely the aftermarket part would show the old fault code as well as the new (P000A) code if the OEM part was actually fully working.

Did a bit of digging and some people suggested that it may be the OEM N205 was faulty but was masking another issue like the camshaft position sensor being faulty or an oil pressure issue.

Though not sure a faulty position sensor would cause the P000A code.

Worst case scenario really is the chain has skipped or stretched so the timing is wrong, but would have though the engine would run like crap if that was the case,and it runs really well for 144k miles and hasn't lost any power either...

What is weird is that everywhere I've looked states the P000A and P0011 codes should cause a loss of power but they haven't.

Just hoping someone who has come across this issue before can point me in a few directions for resolving this without spending more money than the car is worth.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 11:00:04 pm by GTi-Nugget »

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:13:10 am »
I had this fault a while ago, cant remember the code number now, it turned out to be that one of the three oil control rings on the adjuster housing was broken, I replaced the ring and the fault hasn't come back. I did not notice a loss in power, I only knew because of the fault code. You can examine the rings when you do the timing chain.

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 06:57:37 am »
I had this fault a while ago, cant remember the code number now, it turned out to be that one of the three oil control rings on the adjuster housing was broken, I replaced the ring and the fault hasn't come back. I did not notice a loss in power, I only knew because of the fault code. You can examine the rings when you do the timing chain.
Was thinking it was potentially this or the pickup being clogged in the sump, will check the rings.

Car has definitely had the chain cover and rocker cover off before as some pleb has used liquid gasket instead of proper gaskets to seal it back together. No record of chain being done before though.

Offline GTi-Nugget

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 01:19:18 pm »
So yeah confirmed yesterday that the old N205 had nothing wrong with it.

The P000A code has disappeared and I'm back to getting P0011 code.

New timing chain and tensioner arrived this morning.

Probably just going to throw everything I want to do in at once when the chain gets done so it'll probably get a neuspeed crank pulley kit, R8 coils, alternator belt, AP coilovers, new top mounts, pads, discs and a full brake bleed with new flexi hoses.

Saves me the time and faff. Then hopefully it'll be ready for a map to push it to as close to 300bhp as it can go.