Make a donation

Author Topic: What type radio have I got?  (Read 2226 times)

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
What type radio have I got?
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:55:55 pm »
Hi folks, can anyone tell me why model/type headunit I have in my car, I'm not even sure if it's original VW? I picked a GTI up last week and was wondering if I can retrofit Bluetooth streaming. Thanks

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: What type radio have I got?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:13:11 pm »
Looks to me like RCD510

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:03:48 am »
Yep, as above, RCD510. There are many different versions of that radio. You can get a Bluetooth module for it (there are even some for sale in the classified section of this forum) but in all honesty I don’t think it is worth it. If had a few versions of the RCD510 over the years with a couple different Bluetooth modules along the way. However, I’m now using an RCD330 Plus and it’s better in almost every way. Depending on the version you can get apple CarPlay, Android Auto which gives you streaming, maps, Spotify etc. They all come with Bluetooth built in too so no need to run cables for the microphone and as you already have an RCD510, an RCD330 Plus will be plug and play. No need to worry about CanBus modules or battery drain

Offline kodirl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:23:06 pm »
Yep, as above, RCD510. There are many different versions of that radio. You can get a Bluetooth module for it (there are even some for sale in the classified section of this forum) but in all honesty I don’t think it is worth it. If had a few versions of the RCD510 over the years with a couple different Bluetooth modules along the way. However, I’m now using an RCD330 Plus and it’s better in almost every way. Depending on the version you can get apple CarPlay, Android Auto which gives you streaming, maps, Spotify etc. They all come with Bluetooth built in too so no need to run cables for the microphone and as you already have an RCD510, an RCD330 Plus will be plug and play. No need to worry about CanBus modules or battery drain
Thanks for the info, very informative. One question. Do I need a multi function steering wheel to use the phone function ?

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 01:58:01 am »
No, no need for multi function wheel as it doesn’t work with the RCD330 Plus anyway unless you also get another part that lots of the sellers of the RCD330 Plus also sell. It’s called a can translator or done such thing.