Make a donation

Author Topic: Rusty from wheel arch - Warranty Woes  (Read 1544 times)

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Rusty from wheel arch - Warranty Woes
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:03:40 am »
Morning all. I know the topic has been discussed before and the search provides plenty of chat about it, but what I'm after is advice from people who have been through this, hopefully some who have been through it recently...

So far...

I took the car to VW dealers body shop in Octoberb last year!! A combination of them and VW being really really useless, and some family stuff so me letting it go off the boil means I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why it got rejected, and where to go next.

The car was 9 years and 11 months old when I took it in.

They're sighting it being too old, and it being the wrong type of rust so they're not willing to offer any good will. Because the rust was caused by the foam pad they won't cover it. Apparently.

As far as I'm concerned it's within the twelve years and rust is rust.

What are my next steps? I phoned VW customer services and I sh*t you not spent nearly an hour and a half being passed between them, the dealer and the body shop.

I want to take this as far as I can before buying the bullet and doing it myself if I really don't get anywhere.

TIA

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Rusty from wheel arch - Warranty Woes
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:01:17 pm »
Get an independant inspection if it finds in your favour write to vw customer service

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 06:52:00 am »
Also try another main dealer as some are far more helpful than others  :signLOL:
I was told when mine went in if it had any other than factory depth paint it wouldn’t be covered.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 11:08:11 am »
Get an independant inspection if it finds in your favour write to vw customer service

Will the independent inspection not just conclude that the foam pad has caused the rust (which we all know is the cause) - which VW say isn't covered because the rust is caused by the pad, not a defect in the metal...? It's fighting this mentality that makes it so hard

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:03:02 pm »

Will the independent inspection not just conclude that the foam pad has caused the rust (which we all know is the cause) - which VW say isn't covered because the rust is caused by the pad, not a defect in the metal...? It's fighting this mentality that makes it so hard
Surely that sponge is an inherent fault.  Which covered my ABS and rear caliper failings  A polite detailed email with pics to customer services will help if your paint is original :happy2: 
Ford put their sound deadening foam/sponges inside plastic bags before installing

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 12:28:50 pm »

Yeah it is I totally agree with you, but VW have stated to me "because the rust isn't caused by a fault in the panel (which would be covered under the 12 year warranty) but it's caused by a sister entity (the foam pad) it would only be covered under the 3 year VW parts warranty. I understand, but it's complete bullsh*t!

Surely that sponge is an inherent fault.  Which covered my ABS and rear caliper failings  A polite detailed email with pics to customer services will help if your paint is original :happy2: 
Ford put their sound deadening foam/sponges inside plastic bags before installing